2019-03-13 / Looking Back


100 Years Ago,



What We Are Talking About at the County Hub


Mulford Sent to Sing Sing - New Safe Deposit Boxes - Postage to Drop - Other Notes.

John MacGibbon and Sherman Utter have been reappointed patrolmen of the Walton state road for the ensuing season.

The senior class entertained the juniors with a play and dance in the high school auditorium Friday evening.

Mrs. Joseph Rothensies has moved her ladies’ furnishing store from Gardiner Place to the Spring building, Delaware street, formerly occupied by the Boston Candy Kitchen.

Mrs. Celia Hawkins fell downstairs Monday evening at the home of their son, W. D. Hawkins, East Brook, and fractured her left arm at the wrist. Dr. W. B. Morrow reduced the fracture.

Miss Emily O. Guild, as violinist with the Farrington Concert Co., leaves next week for a two weeks’ tour of the camps in the vicinity of Washington, Old Point Comfort, Newport News and Camp Lee, Virginia.

The Victory Loan campaign will open Monday, April 21, and close three weeks later, Saturday, May 10. Short term notes maturing in not over five years will be issued, but the rate of interest has not been announced.

The silo on Albert Craig’s farm, East Brook, was blown down by the wind Saturday night. The wind also tore away a section of the glass roof on W. T. Neal's greenhouse. Mr. Neal’s loss is covered by insurance carried with H. M. Robinson.

Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Lambert have moved to Walton, and reside at 70 Townsend street. Mrs. Lambert, before her marriage, was Jessie McKenna, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. E. D. McKenna, formerly of Walton. Dr. McKenna moved to Albany about fifteen years ago.

Charles D. Taylor, deputy internal revenue collector, who has been at the Walton post office the past week to help fill out income tax blanks, states that nearly four times as many blanks have been filed with him as last year. Saturday is the last day for the filing of income tax returns.

George Rutherford has bought of Conductor E. R. Johnson of Sidney the house on Townsend street, now occupied by A. C. Whiteman, and will move there from Mead street. Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Houck, who sold their farm at Dryden to John E. Stilson, have bought the Herbert Shaw property on Howell street. The sale was consummated by H. M. Robinson.

The First National Bank has ordered,

and will have installed a new set of safe deposit boxes. There are 87 boxes in the present system, while the new boxes will number 252. The sale of Liberty bonds has caused a larger demand on the part of the public for a place where their securities may be kept without danger of loss. The First National Bank is following its progressive policy in meeting this demand.

The annual village election will be held Tuesday of next week, March 18. The polls will be open in the court room of Walton Hall from 4 p. m. until 8 p. m. Officers to be elected are a village president, two trustees, collector and treasurer. Taxpayers will vote on the following appropriations: No. 1, $7,000 for highways; No. 2, $5,000 for general expenses; No. 3, $1,000 for oiling streets; No. 4, $2,700 for all night street lighting; No. 5, $800 for fire department; No. 6, $750 to buy and install ten new hydrants.

Letter postage in the United States will be reduced from three to two cents an ounce or fraction thereof on July 1, 1919. The two cent domestic postcard will not be sold after July first, because the rate at that time will be reduced to one cent. Three cent postage has been effective since October, 1917. Victory postage stamps, a new issue to commemorate the successful conclusion of the war, will be placed on sale soon in limited numbers. The new stamp will bear the figure of Liberty, victorious, helmeted and with a sword in one hand and scales in the other. The whole design appears upon a shaded panel with American, British, French, Belgian and Italian flags draped for the background.

William H. Mulford of Walton, who was arrested recently for passing a number of worthless checks in Port Jervis soon after being released from the Monticello jail, was indicted by the Orange county grand jury last week on a charge of forgery. Mulford was arraigned Thursday morning, Mar. 6, before Justice Morchauser in Supreme Court in Newburgh, and was sentenced to Sing Sing prison for a term of not less than two years and four months and not more than four years and four months. Mulford made a plea for clemency, but the court said there were not mitigating circumstances about his offense, and that he should be sent to prison for his own good and the protection of the community. Probation Officer Henderson, who investigated Mulford’s case, said that where the prisoner was known no one spoke a good word for him.


Dairymen’s League and Distributors Working on Plan.

The working out of a permanent plan for fixing prices the distributer is to pay for the producer for milk in New York city, based on cost of production and market conditions, is the purpose of a series of conferences now being held in New York city by the executive committee of the dairymen’s league and a committee of the New York milk conference board. The joint committee, in session for a greater portion of Tuesday, met again Wednesday at the offices of the league at 303 Fifth Avenue, and it was announced that satisfactory progress has been made toward the adoption of a plan that would eliminate future controversies between the producers and distributers. It was said that the plan, as outlined, would not ignore the consumer. Another conference is to be held within a few days.


Co-op. Milk Producers Marketing Association Also


Eastman Says Concerns Have No Official Connection With League - Important Utica Meeting.

Federal Judge Martin T. Manton on Monday appointed Edward J. McCrossin, a New York attorney, as receiver of the Country Milk company and the Co-operative Milk Producers’ Marketing Association in a proceeding instituted by the Addison County Co-operative Dairy company, a Vermont corporation. It was stated in court that the liabilities were estimated at $400,000, while the value of the assets was not given.

The officials of the Dairymen’s League have never made plain just what connection, if any, exists between the League and the two bankrupt concerns. Roswell D. Cooper, president of the League, was also president of both the Country Milk company and the Marketing Association, and F. H. Thompson, another League officer, was also a director in them. The offices of both concerns were at No. 303 Fifth Avenue. The office of the Dairymen’s League is located at the same address.

It is understood that the Country Milk company was at first formed by a number of up-state co-operative creameries, which united to sell their products. The entire stock in the Country Milk company, it is stated, was held by these creameries.

Mr. Cooper, as president of the Dairymen’s League, has come in for considerable criticism for also holding the office of president of the Country Milk company. At the time of the failure of the Mutual- McDermott Milk company, the Country Milk company bought a large number of milk cans and other property of this concern, which placed it in a position to handle a larger volume of milk in case of a strike. The Milk Marketing Association was formed later on the same lines as the Country Milk company.

N. A. VanSon, who a few years ago bought a small farm on the hill back of Seaman’s mill at DeLancey, and who is said to have made a small fortune in handling League milk at the time of the first milk strike in 1916, was at one time manager of the Country Milk company. It is stated VanSon who some time ago bought the fine Pettis farm at Delancey of William Brisbane, and controls through leases, five creameries in this section, among them the co-operative plants at Hamden, Andes and Delhi.

At the office of the Dairymen’s League E. R. Eastman, manager of organization, said neither of the two concerns, now in the hands of a receiver, had any official connection with the Dairymen’s League.

Mr. Eastman has issued the following statement relative to an important meeting of the Dairymen’s League in Utica, March 22nd:

“Utica will again be the Mecca of dairymen on March 22nd. On this date delegates from every one of the thousand branches of the Dairymen’s League will gather from over a thousand farm communities to launch the campaign for general co-operative ownership of the country end of the milk business.

“All League branches will hold meetings immediately to elect the best man available as a delegate to the Utica meeting. This delegate will attend the meeting and will bring back to every local community, where there is a League branch organizer, the full details and plan of campaign of the League’s co-operative project. Meetings will then be held in every community to place the plan before every dairyman.

“The chief object of the general meeting at Utica and the local meetings to follow, is to get, in the quickest way possible, correct information and understanding to every dairyman of the League’s co-operative plan. The enterprise is so large in extent and so important in its nature, that it is absolutely essential that every dairyman have a correct understanding of just what is proposed. After he fully understands the plan, it is, of course, up to him and his community as to what he wishes to do in regard to it. Judging from the pressure that has been brought on League officers since the trouble with the dealers in January, it is an assured fact that practically every League member will endorse the proposed plan, and get unitedly back of it to carry it out.

“Hundreds of letters at the League office from all parts of the territory show that the dairymen are united in realizing and demanding that the League take a forward step, looking toward caring for the surplus, the elimination of the constant trouble and friction with the dealers with frequent danger of milk strikes, and toward putting the dairy industry on a more profitable and safe basis. Since the ending of the strike and before, the League officers have been working almost constantly to meet this demand from the members with a practical, workable plan. It has been necessary in so large an undertaking to be extremely careful to get a plan that was fundamentally right. This has taken time, but the details are now nearly complete, and the project to be placed before the dairymen at Utica represents the best that League talent can do. On March 21st, the day prceding the Utica meeting, there will be a meeting of the League directors and county presidents, when the plan will be explained and put before the directors for changes and approval.”


The most exciting basketball game of the season will be played on Saturday evening, March 15th, in the high school auditorium. The game is between Stockton and Miller avenue schools. At the beginning of the season it was decided that a series of three games would be played, the school winning two of the games to receive a banner for the 1919 championship in basketball. Saturday night’s game is to determine to which school the banner shall go. Needless to say there is much wild speculation and much enthusiasm. At the same time the Liberty girls are to play the Walton girls. Liberty has some team–for girls. They defeated the home team at Liberty by a score of 14 to 5. Walton will undoubtedly “give them theirs” on Saturday.

On Friday night the tie game between Walton and Delhi girls is to be played in Delhi. Each team won on its own court. The tie game will be plaed on the court in the Delhi opera house. Mr. Wells and Mr. Arthur flipped coins over the telephone to see where the game should be played, and fate decreed that Delhi should be the front line of trenches.

The two grammar schools have been working strenuously for some time preparing for a joint entertainment, to be given April 11th and 12th in the high school auditorium. The entertainment is to comprise the work which the children have done this year in physical training. Each grade has prepared something, and the program will consist of folk dances done in costume, a wand drill, a drill in calisthenics called “The Jumping Jack Jubilee,” a wooden shoe dance by two star performers and many others. Only a limited number of tickets are to be sold, and these will be offered first to the mothers and fathers of the grammar school children. If, after the parents are accommodated, there are any seats left, they may be secured by outsiders. The money raised is to help pay for the Victrola purchased by Stockton Avenue and the Edison which Miller Avenue bought.


What Municipalities Spent for Government in Past Year.

The following shows the running expenses of most of the villages in the county for the past year, exclusive of temporary loans:

Margaretville: General, $576.46; highways, $1,133.53; lights, $524.03; water, $350; total, $2,584.02; raised by tax, $1,618.88.

Franklin: General, $1,568.02; highways, $406; lights, $647; sprinkling, $65.60; total $2,686.62.

Hancock: General, $514.04; highways, $1,436.13; supplies, $739; trustees fund, $422; Red Cross appropriation, $1,000; Board of Health, $150.20; state road, $281.57; fire department, $696.52; police, $283.45; water, $924.83; lights, $1,695; total, $8,142.74; temporary loans on notes, $2,324.96; raised by tax, $9,545.40.

Hobart: General fund, $1,912.55; highway, $466.77; sewer fund, $2,335.34; sidewalk, $428.35; fire department, $12.14; hydrant fund, $460; lighting fund, $620; total $6,530.07.

Delhi: General, $382.54; police, $94.75; fire department, $668.29; health, $164.35; V. I. S., $18; highways, $2,841.06; street commissioner, $925.95; lights, $1,732.50; oiling, $967.93; material and supplies, $288.89; sidewalks, $327.05; recreation, $17.30; miscellaneous, $144.72; Main street bonds and interest, $2,750; total, $11,343.33. The village received $5,220.78 in water rentals and expenditures were $3,752.55, leaving a balance for the year of $1,777.05; raised by tax, $12,597.67.

Walton:Highwayfund,$8,620.15; general fund $4,570.46; street lights, $2,449.50; village hall bonds, $1,500; fire department bond, $500; interest on hall and fire department bonds, $2,089,77; interest on temporary loans of $9,425.86, $168.78; Board of Health, $750.89; police fund, $421.30; fire department, $976.69; total, $22,047.54. The sum of $717.93 was received from rental of Walton Hall. Raised by tax, $20,381.44.

Andes: Highways, $132.20; state road, $205.56; Board of Health, $50.25; lighting, $355.16; general, $517.56; total, $1,260.73. Raised by tax, $1,120.62.

Sidney: General fund, $2,409.67; health fund, $32.22; police fund, $1,090.64; fire department, including $8,400 for purchase of fire engine, $12,909.58; highways, $4060.47; library fund, $299.98; miscellaneous, including expenses water case, $1,781.68; bonds paid, $2,781.60; interest, $1,405.50; total, $27,571.34. Raised by tax and equal assessments, $15,150.18. Bonds were sold for $11,984 to cover cost of fire engine purchase and other fire department expenses.

Three Deaths At Roscoe.

(From our Roscoe cor.)

The influenza epidemic is prevalent in northern Sullivan county and has caused a number of deaths. Mrs. Harry Ingraham of Roscoe died Sunday, Mar. 9, and George Ellsworth and Cauncey Finle on Tuesday, Mar. 11. These three deaths resulted from influenza and pneumonia.

Grange Favors League Of Nations.

At the Pomona Grange meeting in Delhi Tuesday resolutions were adopted favoring a league of nations, urging the enforcement of the prohibition law, opposing the military training law and demanding its repeal, and asking the enforcement of the law bonding creamery companies.


Twenty-six Soldiers Return Unexpectedly Wednesday


Men in Company F, 107th Infantry Will Banquet This Evening - Two Recommended for D. S. C.

Home! The magic meaning of the word was realized by the twenty-six former members of Company F of Walton, now of the 107th Infantry, who reached their homes Wednesday morning, after an absence of over eighteen months.

The first contingent of the guardsmen arrived unexpectedly on O. & W. train 4 from Sidney Wednesday morning. Word had been received Tuesday morning that between 30 and 50 of the guardsmen would arrive in Walton that evening on O. & W. train 3. Arrangements had been made to meet the train with a band and a big demonstration had been planned, when word came that the soldiers had missed the train.

So when the Mountain Express from Sidney pulled into the Walton depot Wednesday morning bearing a happy bunch of Company F men, their arrival was a complete surprise to their families. No sooner had they stepped from the train, however, than word quickly spread throughout the village of their arrival, and they were greeted by words of welcome everywhere. The men came by way of Binghamton on the Lackawanna railroad, leaving Camp Merritt at 6 p. m. and Hoboken at 8:30.

Seventy-two hours leave was granted to the men, and they will return to Camp Merritt today, Friday.

Those coming home in the first group were: Howard G. Laidlaw, Lee McCook, Donald Berray, Robert Wilbur, Howard Schoonmaker, John Pangaro, Frank Shackelton, Claude Davey, Maurice Hinckley, Julian Simpson, Thomas Neer and Joseph Dow, all of Walton; Ernest Winfield, Beerston; Jacob Felter, Readburn; Truman Coats, Oneonta; Fred Morris, DeLancey; Stanley Stevens and Benny Pratt, Hamden; Joseph Hackett and Norman Tiffany, Norwich; Wilbur Dickinson, William Sutton, Arthur Pindar, Sidney; Leon VanDusen, Bovina Center; Roger Diihr, Bloomville; William Hoag, Cannonsville. All of the men, except Hinckley, who is with the Machine Gun Co. 107th Infantry, Berray and Hackett of Co. G, 107th Infanty, and Morris and Wilbur of the Supply Company, are members of Company F, 107th Infantry. As the Norwich and Sidney boys and a few others left the group at Sidney and Binghamton, there were about fifteen who came to Walton.

Six more of the former Company F boys arrived on the milk train Wednesday noon. They were Malcolm Wright and Harold White of Walton and Burton McDonald of Hawleys, of the Headquarters Co., 107th Infantry; Russell W. Baker and Clayton Wood, Walton, and Lyle Robb of Norwich, Co. F, 107th Infantry.

Harry Clark of Walton of the 107th Machine Gun Co., arrived on the afternoon train, and Bernard Hoy of Walton on Thursday morning. Erwin Davis of Roscoe also came home Wednesday.

A crowd of several hundred met them at the station, and with a parade headed by the band escorted them overtown, together with the men who arrived on the morning train, whose homes were in Walton.

After the parade came to a halt at the corner of Bridge and Delaware streets, it was some time before the large crowd dispersed, as hundreds wished to see and greet the boys. For most of them, it was their first visit home since Company F left Walton in August, 1917. The stories of the men have to tell of their experiences would fill volumes.

Of the one hundred fifty men, who left Walton that day in August, 1917, fifteen will not return. Thirteen sleep on foreign soil, and two died in the United States. Mingled with the joy of the home coming is sadness for those who will not return.

Robert Cooper, John E. Closs, Mead Eells, Truman Tobey of Walton; Francis White, Bloomville; Charles Jacobi, Sidney; Charles Mason, Cadosia; William D. Jenkins, East Masonville; James R. Fuhri, Rock Rift; Leo Pratt, Hamden; William W. Meade and Raymond Spickerman of Bloomville were killed in action. Harold D. Kniffin of Walton, transferred to the First Pioneer Infantry, is reported as having died of pneumonia, and Carl Jones and John Armstrong of Walton died in this country.

Raymond Spickerman of Bllomville has been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary bravery in action. Charles R. Mason of Cadosia, who was killed, and Harvey Cole of Walton, wounded, have been recommended for the D. S. C.

The men in Company F, 107th Infantry will enjoy a banquet at the Hotel Waldorf Astoria in New York city this, Friday evening, and will attend a theatrical performance later.

The grand parade of the 27th Division in New York city will be held Tuesday, March 25th. The men will then be transferred to Camp Upton, L. I., to be discharged. It is not known just how long this will take, but the men should be home by April first or soon after.

The remaining units of the 102nd Engineers, the 102nd Sanitary train, 102nd Ammunition Train, 102nd Supply Train, 102 Field Signal Battalion, the 104th, 105th and 106th Field Artillery and all other units of the 27th have arrived in New York city.

The 107th Infantry suffered the heaviest casualties of any regiment in the 27th Division. The losses of the regiment were 418 killed in action, 99 died of wounds, 25 missing in action; total, 540. Sixteen men were taken prisoner. Company F and Company D of the 107th Infantry suffered the fewest casualties of any companies in the regiment on September 29, but out of over 200 men in each company, only 103 of Company F came through uninjured and 107 in Company D. Out of the first platoon of Company F only 15 out of 45 men were left. The company had only 50 men left on leaving the lines on October 21.

Death Of Two Soldiers.

Fred Wegman, a Fement Center soldier, died recently at Camp Merritt, N. J. from pneumonia following influenza. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Wegman. James Ammeter, a former Jeffersonville boy, died of pneumonia in France on February 16, according to word received last week.


Mystery Surrounds Disappearance of Alvia Pardee Monday.

(From our Hamden cor.)

Alvia, the nineteen year old brother of John and Leo Pardee, who came here from the north last week on a visit, disappeared in a very mysterious manner on Monday night. Leaving the home of his brother, John, in Terry Clove, Monday p. m. he started over the hill to his brother George’s in Basin Clove. This is the last known of his whereabouts. The woods have been carefully searched but no clue whatever has been found of the missing man.

Alvia Pardee has dark hair and eyes and when last seen was wearing a dark blue coat, tan shirt and pants, red rubbers and a gray felt hat.


Walton Soldier Succumbs to Pneumonia Overseas.

Word was received in Walton the latter part of the week of the death overseas from pneumonia of Sergeant Harold Dean Kniffin of Co. F, First Pioneer Infantry. Sergeant Kniffin would have been 21 years of age on February 27. His death occurred on February 18th.

He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Kniffin and when his mother died when Harold was a baby only a few weeks old, and he was brought to Treadwell by his aunt, Mrs. Nathan Earle, and cared for by Mr. and Mrs. Earle as an own son. At the age of fourteen he joined the Methodist church at Treadwell and in 1914, when he came to Walton to attend the high school, transferred his membership to the M. E. church here.

He was always an earnest, conscientious worker in all church activities. He also showed unusual interest in his work in the Walton high school and had planned to work his way through college upon his return from France. Sergeant Kniffin was one of the few members of Co. F who remained with the skeleton organization later developed into the First Pioneer Infantry, at the time most of the men were transferred to the 107th Infantry at Camp Wadsworth, S. C. The First Pioneers have been in France since the summer of 1918 and have been with the army of occupation in Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Earle, his uncle and aunt, are now living near Deposit.


Sidney Taxpayers to Vote on Water Works Purchase.

The proposition to acquire the Sidney Water Works system at a price of $220,000, the figure fixed by the commissioners in the condemnation proceedings, will be voted upon next Tuesday, March 18, at the corporation election by the taxpayers of Sidney village.


Delaware County Property Reflected in Number of Motorists.

Delaware county has a car for every 12 of its residents. The ration of car to population in this state is now 1 to 20. Official figures made public by Secretary of State Francis M. Hugo show 463,758 motor vehicles registered in New York state last year, a gain of 51,191 or 12 per cent. Pleasure cars increased 8 per cent; commercials 36 per cent; motorcycles dropped from 28,775 to 28,597. Total receipts to the automobile bureau were $4,95,297.50, a gain of $661,183.

Delaware county registered 3,160 pleasure cars, an increase of 386; 385 commercials, a gain of 192. The total registration for the county was 3,805. There are 26 trailers, 26 dealers and 605 chauffeurs; 116 motorcycles. Receipts to the automobile bureau from the county were $31,922, the sum being divided between state and county, and available for highway purposes.


Supervisors Committee Makes $4,000 Saving on Fire Protection.

The building committee of the board of supervisors, H. L. Eckert of Bloomville, H. S. Marvin of Delhi, W. G. Moore of Walton, Edward Enderlin of Roxbury and E. H. Dickson of Middletown were in Albany last week to consult the officials of the state health department relative to the change in the fire protection system at the county tuberculosis hospital near Delhi.

After hearing the arguments made by the committee in support of the proposed change, Commissioner Biggs agreed to the alteration in the plans so that the building will be equipped with a chemical engine and extinguishers at a cost of about $500 in place of the original proposition which called for a $4,500 water system.

It is now believed that the total cost of the building when completed and equipped will not exceed $45,000. All the contracts have been let except for the furnishings, which it is estimated will cost about $3,000.


Hiawatha Girl Injured in Hancock Runaway.

(From our Hancock cor.)

The team of Henry Kneiwasser of Hiawatha, Pa., ran away in Hancock Saturday afternoon. The team was standing in front of E. B. Tarbox’s store on East Front street with Mr. Kneiwasser’s two daughters in the wagon. An automobile came up the street and frightened the horses. They jumped and broke the wagon tongue, and then started down the street at a mad gallop. One girl jumped and was not injured. Her older sister was thrown into the gutter, and struck her head against the curb, cutting a deep gash. The young lady was badly dazed and shaken up, but no bones were broken, and later in the day she was removed to her home. The team ran as far as the Presbyterian church.


Francis M. White Met Death on October 18.

The Company F men on their return to Walton this week brought word of the death in action on October 18 of Francis M. White of Bloomville.

There had been reports of his death, but as he had no relatives at Bloomville, these were unconfirmed. At the time of his enlistment White was employed in the Sheffield creamery at Bloomville.

He was serving with Company F, 107th Infantry, when killed, and his death occurred in the last engagement of that unit.


Will Be Held in Walton Hall Next Thursday Evening.

The annual prize speaking contest of Walton high school will be held in Walton Hall on Thursday evening March 20 in which the following contenstants will compete for the prizes of $10 in gold for first, $5 in gold for second for boys and girls.

Anna Wood, On Christmas Day in the Morning, Anon.

Elizabeth Broughton, His Flag and the Country for which it Stands, Minerva Guthapfel.

Frances Trask, The Famine, Longfellow.

Elsie Reiss, Prohibition’s Day of Triumph.

Duncan Doig, With the Alpini, Will Irwin.

Clifford Strangeway, The Firing Squad, Arthur Guy Empey.

Fred R. Lyon, The Bombardment of Antwerp.

Everett Holley, Opinions Stronger than Armies.

There will be an admission charge of 25 cents to defray the expenses of the judges and to cover the prizes offered. The high school orchestra will furnish music for the occasion.


Robt. Courtney of Sidney Found Dead in Room


Landlady Became Alarmed When He Did not Appear, and Called Officer.

Robert Courtney, Sr., of Sidney ended his life Saturday night by shooting himself with a revolver. His death was not discovered until Sunday afternoon, when his landlady, Mrs. Alta Wood, became alarmed at Mr. Courtney’s failure to appear, and called Officer Dickinson, who forced open the door.

Courtney lay dead upon the floor. In his hand a revolver was tightly clasped. His head was closely muffled with a heavy overcoat. It was apparent that the man had been dead several hours.

Dr. C. R. Woods of Delhi, the coroner, was notified, and came to Sidney Monday morning. It was learned that Mr. Courtney had worked in the Remington Arms plant in Ilion until a few weeks ago, since when he had been out of work. It is thought that this fact made him despondent, and caused him to end his life.

He was a man 58 years of age, and is survived by one son, Robert, Jr. The funeral was held Tuesday, with burial in the Prospect Hill cemetery.

Seniors Won Debate.

A new plan was followed this year for the debate number of the high school and community lecture course, which was given on Tuesday evening. The question chosen was, “Resolved, that the United States should have the largest navy in the world.” The affirmative was defended by four high school juniors, Neil Rogers, Hilda Marvin, Russell Cobb and Bernice Beckwith. The seniors who upheld the negative were Gertrude Fagan, Hawley Fitch, Harry Wakeman and Thelma Holmes.

With only a short time for preparation, and with no coaching by their teachers, the students acquitted themselves remarkably well. Their arguments were vigorous, accurate and easily heard. The judges found it difficulit to reach a decision, two standing for the negative and one for the affirmative. The debate was thus won by the class of 1919.

Return to top