2018-12-05 / Looking Back


100 Years Ago, SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7, 1918


What We Are Talking About at the County Hub


Chamber of Commerce Active - Trainman Gets Bad Fall - Hurt in Runaway - Band Organizes.

George H. Ward had the bone in his right wrist cracked Monday when a Ford car he was cranking backfired and the crank handle struck his hand.

The state troopers arrested Ike Beardsley Monday on a charge of intoxication. He was brought before Police Justice James Peake, who fined him ten dollars.

Superintendents Harkness and Myers of the education department, have issued a joint order transferring the Neish property on East Trout Brook from school district No. 11, town of Walton, to school district No. 28, town of Colchester.

R. M. Conrow has moved from Guilford to Fred Lyon’s house, corner of North and Union streets, Grant Wilson has moved into his new house on North street and John S. Lakin is occupying the rooms in Miss Nora L. Seeley’s house, Gardiner Place, vacated by Mr. Wilson.

The Walton Cornet Band was organized with twelve members at a meeting held in the armory Monday evening. I. J. Mott was elected president and leader; Ernest Hood, treasurer; and E. J. Green secretary. A band is needed in Walton and should have popular support. Practice will be held Monday evenings at the armory.

The Red Cross Roll Call or annual membership drive will be held the week of December 16th to 25th. During this week every person in the jurisdiction of the Walton Chapter will be asked to enroll as a member of the Red Cross. The Walton Chapter with its branches at Downsville, Hancock and Cannonsville is expected to have 8,325 members.

Mrs. C. D. Hawkins, who makes her home with her son, William Hawkins, East Brook, was injured Monday afternoon in a runaway accident on upper Bruce street. Mrs. Hawkins had driven to the Mt. Pleasant schoolhouse to get her granddaughter, Marcia Hawkins, and the two were driving downtown to do some errands before returning home, while coming down the steep pitch on upper Bruce street, the horse became frightened when a board in the road struck its leg, and the animal got beyond control. Near the home of W. A. Soper the horse left the road and ran into the fence. Mrs. Hawkins sustained severe cuts and bruises but no bones were broken. The girl was not seriously injured. The wagon was wrecked and the horse broke loose and ran downtown, where it was caught.

Leroy B. Twaddell of Walton, trainman on the Delaware & Hudson railroad, was seriously injured at Schoharie Junction Sunday evening. His left leg was broken at the ankle and he received serious cuts and bruises about the head. Mr. Twaddell has been working on the D. & H. since August and has boarded in Oneonta. Sunday evening he was the head trainman on a north bound train. At Schoharie Junction he started to get off the engine, when the grab iron which he was grasping came off and Mr. Twaddell was thrown heavily to the ground, sustaining the injuries mentioned. When he recovered consciousness, the train had gone on, but Mr. Twaddell’s calls for help attracted the attention of the towerman and he was taken to the Oneonta hospital where he is being cared for. The train crew did not miss him until they reached Delanson. The fracture is a bad one; the bone is splintered, and Mr. Twaddell will probably be incapacitated much of the winter.

At a special meeting of the Walton Chamber of Commerce, held Tuesday evening, A. J. Courtney was unanimously elected president in place of C. F. Martin, who has removed to Catskill. Mr. Courtney was president of the Chamber of Commerce for three years from its organization until the annual election last spring, when he relinquished the office owing to the demands of the office of County Food Administrator. Much of the Chamber of Commerce’s success has been due to his initiative and activity, and it was the unanimous desire of the members that he resume the office now that the demands on his time were less. F. W. Smth, E. G. McCoy and F. Lewis of the Nestle Food Company were present and spoke on the reopening of the former Borden plant. Louis Levine, district superintendent of the Julius Kayser Company, spoke of what the Kayser Company expects to do in Walton, and expressed himself as much pleased with the co-operation he has received from Walton people. Mr. Levine stated that in the past six months the company has paid out $45,000 in Walton, and in the next six months expects to pay out $90,000. He also announced the good news that an addition 30x50 feet will be built to the factory. S. T. H. Knight was elected financial secretary of the Chamber of Commerce. A resolution was passed giving the president power to take up with other business organizations along the line of the O. & W. the question of asking for better train service.

Begin Troop Movement At Once.

A number of aero squadrons are already on their way home from England. The War Department has announced that the 76th Division, trained at Camp Devens, and the 87th, trained at Camp Pike, Arkansas, and filled in last July at Camp Dix by New York state men, will be among the first divisions to return. Men in the 76th were used as replacement troops and the division is depleted to 1,000 men. The 87th includes the 345th, 346th, 347th and 348th Infantry. Men in the tanks corps, gas troops and other special branches of service will also be sent home from France as soon as possible. The movement of sick and wounded men has begun, but it may be the first of the year before the divisional movements home start. Reports that the 27th Division, composed of New York guardsmen, had started for home, proved unfounded, and no official announcement has been made as to when they will return.


World’s Largest Milk Concern Now in Possession


Machinery Being Installed to Handle Large Volume of Milk - May Employ 100 Persons.

Definite announcement has been made of the purchase of the Walton plant of the Borden Condensed Milk company by the Nestle Food company, said to be the largest concern in the milk business in the world.

F. W. Smith, eastern division field man for the company; E. G. McCoy, division plant superintendent and F. Lewis, who will be superintendent of the Walton plant, arrived in Walton Monday and a force of men are now engaged in installing machinery and getting everything in readiness for operation beginning January first.

The Nestle Food company has 110 creameries and condensaries in the United States, located in the states of New York, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. It also has plants in Switzerland and France, and has sales agencies in every country. The company, in fact, is a consolidation of the old Nestle Food company and the Anglo- Swiss company with which other smaller concerns such as the International Milk Co. and John Wildi Evaporated Milk Co., have been merged. By a coincidence it was the old Anglo-Swiss company which bought the land where the Walton plant is now located, and had plans drawn for the construction of a large building when an agreement was made with the Borden Condensed Milk company by which the Anglo-Swiss sold its property in the United States to the Borden company, and withdrew to Switzerland, and the Borden company ceased competition with it in the European markets. Conditions have changed and both Bordens and the Nestle Food company are after an international market.

The sale of the Walton property to the Nestle company includes the feeder plants at Pines, West Brook and Mundale. The West Brook and Mundale creameries are now operated by H. W. Knight and F. C. Medrick. Patrons of the feeder plants will be taken care of by the Nestle company when Messrs. Knight and Medrick cease operations.

To make the Walton plant a profitable undertaking, a large volume of milk is necessary and the Nestle company hopes to be in a position to handle 150,000 pounds. Messrs. Smith and Mc- Coy will be at the company’s office next Monday and would like to meet any prospective patrons and discuss the situation with them. If sufficient volume of milk is secured, the plant will give employment to one hundred or more persons.

But little of the essential machinery was removed from the building by the Bordens when the factory was closed last summer and by January first everything will be in readiness to handle the milk. Evaporated milk will be manufactured here. The company officers believe that there will be a large demand both in the domestic and foreign markets for this product. Mr. Lewis, the plant superintendent will move to Walton from Vicksburg, Pa.

Deposit Light Rate Increase.

The Southern New York Power Company has filed with the Public Service Commission, Second District, a new electric tariff proposed as effective in the towns of Deposit, Hancock, Sanford and Tompkins on December 23. The change proposed is that the twocharge rate for electric lighting service, available to all except season consumers changed from 15 cents per kilowatt hour for the first 30 hours monthly use of maximum demand and 6 cents per kilowatt hour for excess, to the following: 15 cents per kilowatt hour for the first 30 hours monthly use of maximum demand and 9 cents per kilowatt hour for excess consumption.


William N. White, Another Walton Soldier, Taken by Pneumonia.

A telegram received from the War Department on Thursday morning announced the official report of the death on November 20th, at a hospital in France, from pneumonia, of Private William North White, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. John P. White of Walton. Private White was a member of the Co. K, 311th Infantry, of the National Army. Some anxiety had begun to be felt for his safety, as no word had been received from him since a letter written in October, and it was known that his division (the 78th) had been engaged in the terrific fighting in the Argonne region after his last letter had reached the family here. It would appear that he came through the heavy battles unhurt, or with minor injuries, only to be a victim of the disease which has caused many deaths in the American forces both abroad and at home.

William N. White was the son and brother respectively of the editors of the Reporter, and was twenty-seven years of age. He was graduated from Walton high school very early and at once came to the Reporter printing plant, where for the next seven or eight years he had a conscientious and intelligent hand in nearly all branches of the work, holding always the confidence and esteem of his associates. He decided to acquire a college education and entered Michigan University at Ann Arbor. He left in February last after two years’ work, to enter the war. His church and Sunday school affiliations from tender years were with the Congregational society of this village.

After leaving college he came home and at once applied to the local draft board for designation without delay to the army service, and upon reaching Camp Dix he requested that he be assigned to a unit which was going across soon. His natural ability and educational equipment had marked him for a somewhat advanced position in his country’s service, and it is a remarkable fact that after the ship had sailed notification was received of his appointment to a Coast Artillery training camp. William, however, had previously expressed himself about such an opportunity, saying that he was not asking for preferment and that he could not expect another to do his job, which was carrying a gun. Prior to his going away a friend, contributor of this article, was anxiously discussing with him the perils of warfare when he quietly remarked, “I guess I’ll stick.” We now know that he did stick on the battlefield–not once, but again and again–under conditions which to his gentle but brave spirit must have been agonizing.

Coupled with an active body and a quick intellect, William N. White possessed a fine character, high ideals and great courage. His sincere ways compelled the love of his friends. Just so he held the people of Delaware county, her hills, her forests and her streams. Surely, of the many sons of old Delaware who have given their all, he shall not be numbered among the least.

Mr. and Mrs. White have surviving two sons and two daughters, Edward, news editor of the Reporter; George, who is in the Naval Reserve service; Rebecca (Mrs. Ernest Faesch), living in Washington; Annie, employed in government work in Washington. The many friends of the family feel with them something of this dark shadow of the war. W.D.O.


Wilson Neice of Marvin Hollow Suffers Heavy Loss


Was Coming Down Ladder When He Fell and Lantern Ignited Loose Hay - Neighbors Save House.

The barn on the farm of Wilson Neice, near the head of Marvin Hollow, Walton, was destroyed by fire Saturday morning. The stock in the barn was gotten out, but all the hay and farm implements were destroyed. The farm is better known as the Lewis C. Bush place.

Mr. Neice was in the barn between 6 and 7 o’clock, and after throwing down some hay, he was coming down a ladder when he slipped and fell. The lantern he was carrying was broken and set fire to the loose hay about, and in a few minutes the interior of the structure was in flames.

Mr. Neice managed to get out the twelve cows and the team of horses in the barn, but the hay and farm implements, including wagons, harnesses, etc., were destroyed. Neighbors arrived in time to save the house from destruction, although the roof was on fire in two places when help came.

Mr. Neice came from Liberty several years ago, and bought the property from Louis Miller. He had only $800 insurance, $500 on the building and $300 on the contents, carried with S. H. Pond of Walton. He has not decided whether he will rebuild. The insurance will cover only a small part of the loss.


(From our Cannonsville cor.)

“Death loves a shining mark,” was never more clearly shown than when Roy Gardinier was one of the victims claimed by cruel war. He was killed in action October 13.

After entering service he was at Camp Dix, N. J., for a short time, and was from there transported to Camp Green, N. C. Since the first of April he has been overseas almost constantly in the firing lines weeks at a time. He was a member of Co. C, 7th Infantry, 3rd Division. The news of his death cast a gloom over a wide circle of friends throughout the community, where he had endeared himself to all by his genial disposition and manly character. He was the only child or Mr. and Mrs. Addison Gardinier, and was born in Cannonsville 27 years ago, and the most of his life had been spent here. He and Sergeant Herman Lawson were boyhood friends; while attending school at Walton they boarded at the same place. Later while employed in the Edicott-Johnson shoe factory, they boarded at the same place rooming together, and both have made the supreme sacrifice overseas. Aside from his parents, Private Gardinier is survived by his aunt, Mrs. Emma Seward, who was warmly attached to her nephew. The family have the deepest sympathy of all in their loss of one who died as he lived, a credit to his home and to his country.


List of Men in Service from Town of Colchester.

The publication by towns of an honor roll of the men in service from Delaware county commenced in the Reporter last week. It is almost impossible to secure a complete list of the men in service from each town and readers or relatives of men whose names are omitted are requested to send them in. Men in the National Army are credited to the town in which they registered. Men in the Student Army Training Crops and the various reserve corps, not called into active service, are not included. The honor roll for the town of Colchester is given below:


Killed in action.

Kinnie, Fred, Lieut., Cooks Falls.

Died of Disease.

Germond, John, Horton. American Expeditionary Force.

Aikens, Burton L., Downsville.

Benjamin, Horatio G., Lew Beach.

Bogart, Augustus J., Downsville.

Brush, Merton C., Downsville.

Buchanan, Burton, Downsville.

Bull, Norris, Downsville.

Burns, John J., Pepacton.

Brustman, Fred J., Downsville.

Champlin, Bruce, Downsville.

Craft, Wm., Downsville.

Fitch, Floyd, Shinhopple.

Fitch, Clement, Shinhopple.

Fitch, Audrey, Shinhopple.

Francisco, Roy P., Cooks Falls.

Francisco, Wm. D., Corbett.

Fuller, Walter E., Gregorytown.

Fuller, Manesseh E., Gregorytown.

Fuller, Clyde W., Cooks Falls.

Fuller, Wm., S., Shinhopple.

Fuller, Ralph J., Gregorytown.

Geer, Gilbert, Cooks Falls.

Goetschius, Merlin, Downsville.

Gray, Samuel M., Downsville.

Gregory, Frank, Downsville.

Girdsky, George, Shinhopple.

Hackney, John, Horton.

Hamilton, Ralph, Cooks Falls.

Hartig, Harold, Cooks Falls.

Hawkins, Robert, Colchester.

Hawkins, Norman, Colchester.

Hawley, Lewis, Downsville.

Hawley, Harry, Downsville.

Hendrickson, Harold, Horton.

Hotchkiss, Arsey O., Downsville.

Hunter, Robt. B., Delancey R. D.

Hunter, George, Delancey R. D.,

Huntley, W. J., Colchester.

Jagger, Ivan D., Cooks Falls.

*Jones, Paul, Horton.

Jones, Geo. E., Downsville.

Kelly, James C., Roscoe, R. D.

Kline, Leonard F., Corbett.

Leighton, McDonald, Cooks Falls.

Liddle, Edmund, Downsville.

Loveless, Willis G., DeLancey R. D.

Mericle, Milford, Shinhopple.

Miller, Joseph D., Downsville.

Miller, Chas. H., Downsville.

Miner, Herman, Downsville.

Morino, Marcafio, Downsville.

*Moshier, Floyd, Horton.

O’Connor, Leo, Downsville.

Polaski, Charles, Shinhopple.

Purdy, Leiut. C Howard, Downsville.

Rode, Edward M., Roscoe R. D.

Rosa, Ralph, Cooks Falls.

Shaver, John D., Pepacton.

Shields, Sherman S., Downsville.

Skinner, Lewis A., Shinhopple.

Smith, Chas. W., Downsville.

Stanton, Virgil, Horton.

Turnbull, George, Downsville.

Widger, Clark, Downsville.

Wilson, Capt. Fred D., Downsville.

Young, Wm. A., Downsville.

* Enlisted in Walton.

** Registered town of Andes. Gassed and returned home.

Army in U. S. and Navy.

Barnes, Orsa J., army.

Bond, Willard, navy.

Bregha, Nick, army.

Brittian, Leut., Robt., army.

Bowers, Arthur, army.

Bullis, Avery, army.

Clark, John M., army.

Clark, Clarance E., army.

Conrad, Constants, army.

Denholm, George E., navy.

Dofer, Frank, army.

*Eckert, Roy, naval reserve.

Elwood, Alexander C., army.

Edwards, Harrison, army.

Edwards, Elmer, army.

Finkle, Preston M., army.

Fallucchi, Michael, army.

Fitch, Jason E., army.

Foote, Floyd I., army.

Fuller, George W., army.

** Grant, Henry A., army.

Hendricks, Clarence, navy.

Hoy, David, marine corps.

Howard, Edward E., army.

Hitt, Luton, army.

Jones, Earl, army.

Lewis, Floyd, army.

Lkazhkows, Alesandro, army.

Melnick Maurice, army.

Miller, Kenneth G., army.

Moneta, Francisco, army.

Miller, Henry J., army.

Merrill, Herman N., army.

***Moshier, Arthur, army.

Mullen, Chas. B., army.

Myers, Harry B., army.

Porter, Fay, army.

Peters, George, army.

Polaski, John, army.

Radeker, Arthur, army.

Rogler, Ward, navy.

Steele, John B., army.

Stuart, Merritt C., army.

Schley, Roy C., army.

Tiffany, Claude S., Pepacton.

Tompkins, Bert, army.

Ubertino, Alesandro, army.

Wolcott, Wilbur A., army.

Warren, Chas. A., army.

Whitney, Harvey, army.

*On leave to attend college.

**Discharged in October.

***Registered town of Andes.

Total, 115. Died from disease, one. Overseas, 65.


List of Delaware Soldiers Now Passes 700 Mark.

The following names should be added to the list of Delaware county soldiers overseas as published in the last two issues of the Reporter:

Blackman, Alvin, Davenport Center.

Chaplin, Bruce, Downsville.

Chamberlain, Carl A., Kortright.

Fitch, Clement, Shinhopple.

Fitch, Aubrey, Shinhopple.

Fullington, Carroll, Franklin.

Gildersleeve, Walther, Davenport Center.

Goetschius, Merlin, Downsville.

Haight, Denzil, Margaretville.

Huntley, W. J., Colchester.

Jones, George E., Downsville.

Kelly, James C., Roscoe, R. D.

Miller, Charles H., Downsville.

Miner, Herman, Downsville.

Morino, Marcario, Downsville.

Purdy, C. Howard, Downsville.

Smith, Charles W., Downsville.

Shields, Sherman S., Downsville.

Widger, Clark, Downsville.


Sewing Machine Only Article Saved from Inman House.

(From our Fishs Eddy cor.)

Clarence Inman’s house near the Luzern factory at Fishs Eddy took fire on Saturday morning about 9 o’clock. The house was burned to the ground, and a sewing machine was all they were able to save. They were not insured, and $12 in money was destroyed in the fire.


Clinton Stoutenburg, Clark Kellogg, Lieut, William Kinnie, Curtis Beakes and Lieut. Wheat Died.

Word has been received this week of the death in France of four residents of the county and one former resident, Clinton Stoutenburg of Stamford, Clark M. Kellogg of Franklin, Lieut. William Kinne of Horton and Leiut. Murray Crawford Wheat, a native of Sidney Center, were killed in action and Curtis Beakes died in France from pneumonia.

Clinton Stoutenburg.

Mrs. Belle Stoutenburg of Stamford has received a letter from Captain Royal C. Johnson of Company G, 107th Infantry, telling of the death in action of her son, Clinton Stoutenburg on October 15. He was killed by a machine gun bullet just before dusk on that day as he stepped from his post, having just been relieved by another sentry.

Bugler Clark M. Kellogg.

Mrs. Clarence VanBushkirk of Treadwell has received word that her nephew, Clark Kellogg, was killed in action in France on November first. He was a bugler in Company K, 310th Infantry and left Walton on September 29, 1917, with the first large contingent of selected men from the Walton district under command of C. N. Peake of Walton. He was 22 years of age, and at the time he was called into service was employed in a garage at Pittston, Pa. He was a son of the late W. G. Kellogg, and was born in Northfield, where his grandmother, Mrs. Ella Clark, resides. He is survived by one brother, a sister and two older half-brothers.

Lieut. Fred N. Kinne.

During the past week Mrs. Fred N. Kinne, who at present is teaching school at Monticello, received a letter with insurance blank from the Insurance Department at Washington, D. C., stating that her husband, Second Lieutenant Fred N. Kinne, had died in service September 17, and her name was given as emergency address. No notice has come from the government, and the Red Cross and Home Service are now tracing the report. Fred Kinne was 27 years old, the son of Mr. and Mrs. William Kinne of Cooks Falls, and enlisted at Middletown in April, 1917. He was married to Miss Charlotte Burgin, daughter of Charles Burgin, of Honest Brook, near Delhi, in June 1917, while on guard duty at Port Jervis. During the fall he went to Spartanburg and graduated from the officers’ training school there. He was sent overseas last spring, and arrived in France May 31st. He was then commissioned second lieutenant of Co. I, 166th Regiment, the Ohio regiment of the Rainbow Division. When he last wrote to his wife on September 6, he was on his way to the front. According to war reports his regiment was in the battle of St. Mihiel, September 12. Lieut. Murray Crawford Wheat.

Lieutenant Murray Crawford Wheat died on October 2nd overseas from wounds received in action. He was a member of Co. D, 348th Machine Gun Battalion. Lieut. Wheat’s death brings sorrow to many Sidney Center friends and relatives. He was 27 years of age, and his younger days were passed in Sidney Center, where he will long be remembered for his kind and winning personality. After graduating from high school he went to Salem, Oregon, where he studied law under the direction of his uncle, Hon. Murray Crawford, attorney general of the State of Oregon. Mr. Wheat enlisted early in the war, and received his training at Camp Lewis. He is survived by his widow, his father, Charles Wheat, of Youngstown, Ohio, and one sister, Miss Ruth Wheat of Brooklyn; and a number of cousins and other relatives in Sidney Center.–Sidney Center cor.

Curtis Beakes.

The entire community was deeply shocked on Friday to hear of the death of Curtis Beakes, who was overseas with the Meterological Detachment Signal Corps. He died on October 9, of lobar pneumonia. Mr. Beakes was one of the finest young men who ever went from Sidney Center. Early in life he joined the M. E. church, and was always an active, earnest Christian worker. He graduated from Cornell university two years ago, and held a responsible position as civil engineer with the Genessee Bridge Co., in Rochester.

Early in the year he enlisted in army service, and in April he was one of 315 young men in the U. S. selected by the government to train for meterological work overseas. He took his training in Texas. In August he came north on a furlough, and while here was united in marriage to Miss Emily Lewis of Utica. He sailed for overseas September 22, and on October 9th, died of pneumonia. He is survived by his widow, his father, Charles Beakes of New York city; one sister, Mrs. C. B. Dibble of Sidney Center, and his aged grandmother, Mrs. Maria Baker. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to those bereaved ones who mourn the loss of one who was always fine and true, and who gave his life for his country.–Sidney Center cor.


Frank Murdock Kills Himself Early Saturday Morning


Had Been Acting in Crazed Manner Previous Evening and Thought Himself Pursued.

Frank Murdock of Sidney shot and killed himself with a revolver sometime Friday night. He was a man of about 30 years of age. He had evidently placed the muzzle of the gun in the mouth, bullet coming out above his right temple. Death had been instantaneous.

Frank Murdock resided with his father, Abner Murdock, in an old house on what is known as the back road, about one and one-half miles from Sidney. It is a road that leads off the Masonville road. It is stated that he had been drinking heavily for several days, and Friday stopped abruptly. This affected his nerves and during Friday night was seen running about endeavoring, as he stated, to get away from several men who were chasing him. Early Saturday morning Daniel Gifford, who resides on the farm adjoining the Murdock place, went to the house to call on the father, who had been confined to his bed several days with rheumatic troubles, and also to ascertain the condition of the young man, who had been in his employ the past three years. Gifford was told that Frank was upstairs asleep and went up to see him. Mr. Gifford was horrified to discover young Murdock dead upon the bed, his face covered with blood, and a gaping wound in his head. Mr. Gifford immediately came to the village and notified Coroner C. R. Woods of Delhi. Upon the arrival of the coroner an examination was made, assisted by Dr. L. M. Day of Sidney. The evidence all tended to show that the young man had killed himself. Dr. Day stated that he thought that the deed had been committed about 4 o’clock Saturday morning. The man’s father had not heard the report of the revolver, but stated that he had heard a noise about that time, but thought it came from the stove.

The funeral was held Tuesday morning at 10 o’clock at the home of Daniel Gifford, Rev. A. D. Finch officiating. Burial was in Prospect Hill cemetery. Frank Murdock is survived by his father and two brothers, Ray, who is with the American forces in France, and Fred, who is also in the army.


Mrs. G. H. Wolcott Succumbs to Dread Disease.

(From our Hancock cor.)

Hancock has several cases of influenza again, some of which are quite serious. Mrs. G. H. Wolcott was taken ill about a week ago, and Tuesday afternoon she passed away. Her death was caused by pneumonia, which developed with the influenza. She is survived by her husband.

Milton Keight was taken ill a week ago, and diptheria has developed, and his condition is serious. The family are under quarrantine.


Charles Jacobi of Sidney, a member of Company F of Walton, was killed in action near Cambrai on September 29, when the New York Division smashed the Hindenburg line. Word of his death was received Friday evening by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Charles Jacobi. He was 22 years of age, and in May 1917, enlisted in Company F of Walton, and has been with Co. F, 107th Infantry in France since. Although the official report should be authentic, Mr. Jacobi seems doubtful of his son’s death, as he received recently a letter from Wilbur Dickenson of the company, dated October 28, which mentioned Charles Jacobi, stating that he was well. He is survived by his parents and three sisters, Mary, Frances and Catherine, all residing in Sidney.

Committee For Mr. Whitehead.

Judge L. F. Raymond has appointed T. C. Judd, postmaster at Cannonsville, a committee of the person and property of George W. Whitehead of that village, as the result of lunacy proceedings recently held before Attorney H. B. Sewell of Sidney and a jury. Mr. Whitehead is 73 years of age, and is in feeble health, both in mind and body. Recently by the death of his son, Robert M. Whitehead, who was in government service, he was left the use of the latter’s property, amounting to $20,000 in real and personal property. A daughter, Mrs. Gardinier of Binghamton was appointed executor, to whom the property is willed after the death of the father.

Ribs Broken At Football.

(From our Grand Gorge Cor.)

Harold Draffen of Grand Gorge had two ribs broken in a recent game of football and is still in a New York City hospital suffering with same. His many friends in this place hope for his speedy recovery.

Sixty Days For Stealing Harness.

(From our Livingston Manor Cor.)

William Moshier of Livingston Manor was arrested Friday afternoon and taken before Justice Voorhees, charged with stealing a harness from Albert Mauer. He was sent to the county jail at Monticello for sixty days on a charge of petit larceny.

Return to top