2018-11-07 / Looking Back


100 Years Ago, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9, 1918


What We Are Talking About at the County Hub


School Opens Next Monday - Army Desert Nabbed Here - Trucks Mired for Six Days.

The old Majestic theatre building on Delaware street is being remodeled for the offices of the Southern New York Power Company, now located near More Brothers’ yard.

Fifteen hundred and forty-six votes were cast in Walton Tuesday. The vote by districts was as follows: No. 1, 290; No. 2, 340; No. 3, 261; No. 4, 351; No. 5, 196; No. 6, 108. Over a third of the total vote, it is estimated was cast by women.

The campaign for the United War Work drive will be held next week, Nov. 11-18. The quota for Walton is $5,060. The drive is to raise funds for the army Y. M. C. A., and the six allied organizations in work with our soldiers and sailors. Even with peace it may be months before our men overseas will return, and the need for funds was never greater.

A quantity of machinery from the Keyser factory in Buffalo was to the Walton factory this week by motor truck. Each truck carried seven tons. The trucks started from Sidney Center on Wednesday morning via Franklin Depot, but the roads were in such condition owing to the rainy weather, that they were unable to proceed far by their own power. Teams were engaged to pull them out of mud holes and on Monday they had only gone as far as Franklin Depot. There were five days in coming from Buffalo to Sidney Center and six days from Sidney Center to Franklin Depot, which is about three miles.

The Walton schools open next Monday morning after having been closed four weeks on account of the epidemic. The opening of the schools has been deferred to a later date than for the schools of the surrounding communities with the hope that when school starts there will be a full attendance. It is not expected that all of the time lost can be made up. A faculty meeting to be held on Saturday will formulate plans for making up part of the time. There will have to be more intensive work from now on to compensate for the loss of time which cannot otherwise be redeemed. Parents and patrons of the schools may be assured that a fair and equitable plan will be evolved to meet the emergency.

Fred I. Baker, the soldier who had been staying at the Riverside hotel in Walton, is now a prisoner in the Walton lockup awaiting a guard from Camp Devens, Mass., where he faces a charge of desertion. Baker had been hanging about Walton for two weeks or more. He wore an infantry uniform with an overseas service chevron and wound striped and told great tales of having seen action in France and claimed he had been gassed and sent home to help in the Liberty Loan drive. Chief of Police Joseph Schauffler mistrusted something was wrong and looked the fellow up. Friday Baker got wise that something was up and went to Sidney. The same day Officer Schauffler received word that Baker was wanted at Camp Devens, Mass. for desertion. Trainman William Clayton knew Baker, and as he had to be in Sidney Saturday with the way freight crew, Chief Schauffler asked him to keep eye open for Baker and either arrest him or notify the Sidney police. Clayton found his man and Mr. Schauffler went to Sidney later in the day Saturday and brought Baker to Walton, where he is being held for the camp authorities. Baker’s home is in Yonkers.

The Ford runabout owned by H. C. McKenzie was stolen from the barn of Mrs. A. B. Haulenbeek, Mt. Pleasant, Monday night and was found next morning abandoned by the side of the state highway at Toll City, where it had been left after a collision with another car owned by a traveling man. The theft is believed to have been the work of boys and it is now thought that the machine had been taken out on other nights for joy rides, but on these occasions had been safely returned to the barn. The traveling man whose car was in the collision had left the machine in the ditch on the state highway at Toll City, three miles south of Walton, when his steering gear went wrong and had come to the village. Mr. McKenzie left his car in the Haulenbeek barn at 6:30 Monday evening and John S. Tuttle saw the two cars at Toll City at 1:30 so that the smashup occurred between those hours. It was apparent from the positions of the cars that the joyriders in the McKenzie Ford had been to Beerston and were returning at a high rate of speed. The lights on the McKenzie car were short circuited and the driver of the McKenzie machine had failed to see the other Ford in the ditch until almost upon it. He had swung back to the center of the road, but one front wheel struck the rear of the disabled Ford. The front wheel of the McKenzie car was smashed and the car had plowed along on the axle for about fifty feet before stopping. The joyriders didn’t linger at the scene of accident but left the cards just as they were and beat it for home.


Mrs. Henry Atkens and Daughter Victims of Influenza

Mrs. Emma Moore Atkins, wife of Henry Atkins of Arena, died of Spanish influenza at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Allen Moore on Sands Creek, Friday evening, Nov. 1. A little daughter was buried the same day the mother passed away. Another child about eight years old is seriously ill. Mrs. Atkins and children came to visit her old home and her sister, Mrs. Fred Turner, who has been ill for some time. Mrs. Atkins, not feeling well while at her sister’s home, dreaded under the circumstance to go to her father’s. In spite of medical skill and tender care the child and mother grew worse until the end came. Brief funeral services were held at the house Monday. Rev. Fred Baker preached the sermon. He also officiated at the service for the child the Friday previous.

Mrs. Atkins was a woman of fine Christian character, always cheerful, ready to do a kindness for all, a pleasing personality, winning friends. Many are they in this locality who deeply sympathize with the family in their great sorrow.

Chenango Farmer a Suicide.

Bryon Brown, a farmer residing about one mile and a half from Otselic, Chenango county, ended his life Wednesday morning by shooting himself.


Hill for Congress by 16,000 Plurality


Has Safe Lead of 12,000 Over Whitman - Both Houses and Senate Republican - County Vote.

The Republican county ticket received substantial majorities in the election Tuesday. Andrew J. McNaught, Jr., of Stamford, Republican, defeated Judge Lewis F. Raymond of Franklin for re-election by 1280 plurality. Lincoln R. Long of New Kingston will be the next assemblyman. He has a plurality of 1899 over Assemblyman J. Clark Nesbitt of Bloomville, endorsed by both Democrats and Prohibitionists. There was no fight over sheriff, and Wallace L. Vandermark, the present deputy sheriff, received a large plurality over John H. Caswell, Democrat.

William H. Hill is elected to Congress by a plurality of about 16,000 in the district over Hon. Laverne P. Butts of Oneonta. Hill carried all four counties in the district, Broome, Delaware, Chenango and Otsego.

Latest returns on governor indicate the election of Alfred E. Smith, Democrat, by about 12,000 plurality over Governor Charles S. Whitman. It is not believed that the official count of the soldier vote of about 15,000 will materially change these figures. Smith will receive two-thirds of the soldier vote, it is believed.

Mayor Harry Walker of Binghamton, Democrat, is elected lieutenant governor by over 60,000 plurality over Edward Schoeneck, the present incumbent.

The rest of the state ticket is still in doubt. Francis M. Hugo, Republican, is returned as secretary of state, and James L. Wells, Republican, is elected stated treasurer. Indications are that the other Republican candidates on the state ticket will be elected, but the results on some of the offices will be close. The state senate and assembly remain Republican.

The Republicans have won the House of Representatives by a majority of about twenty, and of the Senate by a majority of from 2 to 4.

The vote in Delaware county was very light. In 1916, when there was a gubernatorial election, over 11,000 votes were cast in the county. This doubled by the equal suffrage, the vote is about 16,000 in the county. The influenza epidemic undoubtedly kept hundreds from the polls. In Walton the vote was very light, particularly outside the village. It is difficult to estimate the number of women who voted, but probably about a third of the vote in the county was cast by women.

The result on the principal offices in the county by towns is given below:


Whitman Smith Plurality
Rep. Dem. Whitman
Andes 406 294 112
Bovina 152 91 61
Colchester 467 337 130
Davenport 271 200 71
Delhi 732 269 463
Deposit 344 160 184
Franklin 437 261 176
Hamden 215 130 85
Hancock 717 583 134
Harpersfield 272 154 118
Kortright 255 182 73
Masonville 162 111 52
Meredith 198 129 69
Middletown 604 571 33
Roxbury 416 320 96
Sidney 902 590 313
Stamford 570 308 262
Tompkins 255 245 10
Walton 782 639 144
Total 8160 5574 2566
Whitman’s plurality 2586

Lieutenant Governor.

Schoeneck Walker Plurality

Rep. Dem. Schoeneck
Andes 438 231 207
Bovina 136 61 75

Colchester 453 280 178
Davenport 250 193 57
Delhi 666 262 404
Deposit 334 162 172
Franklin 439 226 213
Hamden 246 79 167
Hancock 685 558 127
Harpersfield 267 172 95
Kortright 251 153 98
Masonville 185 96 89
Meredith 208 103 105
Middletown 592 487 105
Roxbury 406 307 99
Sidney 765 601 164
Stamford 553 299 254
Tompkins 291 163 128
Walton 816 507 309
Total 7986 4940 3046

Schoeneck’s plurality 3046


Travis, Rep. 9118
Coler, Dem. __4_ 1_8
Travis’ plurality 5000

Representative in Congress.

Hill Butts Rogers Plur.
Rep. Dem. Prob. Hill
Andes 390 234 71 156
Bovina 126 69 63 57
Colchester 435 287 41 148
Davenport 225 213 35 12
Delhi 607 289 102 318
Deposit 274 136 82 138
Franklin 376 277 70 99
Hamden 202 91 40 111
Hancock 697 495 43 202
Harpersfield 226 164 30 52
Kortright 209 188 31 21
Masonville 134 105 44 29
Meredith 177 129 18 48
Middletown 585 467 79 118
Roxbury 424 284 17 140
Sidney 819 539 127 280
Stamford 535 315 39 220
Tompkins 248 183 24 65
Walton 71 507 17 264
Total 7450 4972 1073 2478
Hill’s plurality 2478

Member of Assembly.

Long Nesbitt Plurality
Rep. Dem. Long Nesbitt
Andes 434 282 152
Bovina 131 132 1
Colchester 441 319 122
Davenport 186 277 91
Delhi 587 409 178
Deposit 340 144 196
Franklin 354 356 2
Hamden 199 136 63
Hancock 802 438 364
Harpersfield 240 181 59
Kortright 155 282 127
Masonville 163 115 48
Meredith 159 159 Tie
Middletown 844 328 516
Roxbury 469 266 203
Sidney 770 667 103
Stamford 541 335 206
Tompkins 272 223 19
Walton 680 739 59
Total 7737 5788 2229 280
Long’s plurality 1947.

County Judge

McNaught Raymond Plurality
Rep. Dem. McN. R
Andes 490 216 274
Bovina 145 116 29
Colchester 479 278 201
Davenport 216 245 29
Delhi 606 397 209
Deposit 324 164 160
Franklin 167 596 429
Hamden 185 151 34
Hancock 674 552 122
Harpersfield 347 90 257
Kortright 215 212 3
Masonville 153 131 22
Meredith 161 169 8
Middletown 665 475 190
Roxbury 450 274 176
Sidney 638 839 201
Stamford 664 232 432
Tompkins 232 235 3
Walton 634 793 159
Total 7445 6165
McNaught’s plurality 1280


Vandermark Caswell -mark
Rep. Dem. Plurality
Andes 490 174 216
Bovina 168 30 138
Colchester 516 212 304
Davenport 262 170 92
Delhi 832 138 696
Deposit 346 127 217
Franklin 500 167 333
Hamden 277 44 233
Hancock 830 391 439
Harpersfield 252 137 115
Kortright 271 140 131
Masonville 190 77 113
Meredith 227 90 137

Middletown 688 384 304
Roxbury 419 278 141
Sidney 849 465 384
Stamford 594 244 350
Tompkins 343 121 222
Walton 1014 35 679
Total 9068 3724 5344

Vandermark’s plurality 5344


First of Labels Received by Walton Relatives.

The cartons in which gifts are to be sent to soldiers overseas have been received by the local committee and allotments have been sent to branch headquarters at Cannonsville, Downsville and Hancock. Persons receiving a Christmas parcel label may receive a carton by presenting the label to the committee of Walton Chapter or of one of its branches. For further information they are referred to articles in the Walton Reporter of October 26th and November 2nd.

It is suggested that the contents of the package be done up in a khaki handkerchief which will take up little space and will be very acceptable to the recipient. Parcel post regulations require that the name and address of the sender be placed on the package. Otherwise the package cannot be forwarded. After having filled the carton bring it to the committee in the “Green Store” or to the committee at a branch headquarters where the package will be inspected, stamped and prepared for mailing. The sender will then place the proper amount of stamps upon the package and leave the same with the committee for mailing.

Cartons and mailing regulations may be gotten from C. B. Lincoln or from the committee which will be at the “Green Store” between November 13th and November 20th which is the latest date for mailing the parcels.

Relatives of some of the Walton men in service have already received the labels from overseas.


Pneumonia Developed Following Accident to Former East Branch Man.

(From East Branch correspondent.)

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Broughton of East Branch were called to Middletown last week when their son Ivan, who was on the police force in that city, was thrown from his motorcycle and seriously injured. Pneumonia developed, but for some time it was thought he was improving, when Sunday morning they sent for his brother George and Ivan only lived until about six o’clock.

Ivan Broughton was twentysix years old and the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Broughton of East Branch. A number of years ago he left home to go on the railroad, going to Middletown on Wednesday at two o’clock, burial at that place. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife and three small children, his parents and two brothers and three sisters, George, Elizabeth and Frances of this place, Floyd of Walton and Hazel of Liberty.


Kingston Man Was Trailing Shotgun Behind Him.

G. Ritcher Zeliff, of Kingston met a tragic death on Sunday. With Roger T. Norwood of Norwich and Mr. Rappalyea of Walden, Zeliff started on a hunting trip to the Catskills. While in the woods near Allaben the accident happened. The story is that Mr. Zeliff was trailing his shotgun behind him when it was discharged and the contents of the barrel entered his head behind the right ear, blowing nearly the entire top of his head off. He died in a few minutes.


Number of County Men Wounded - Foremen 71st Boys Killed.

Ernest Simons, a former Margaretville boy, has arrived safely in France.

Charles E. Adams of Cannonsville has been promoted from corporal to sergeant in the Headquarters Company, 102nd Infantry.

Albert Salisbury of Deposit, Co. B, 304th M. G. Bn., American Expeditionary forces, has been promoted from corporal to sergeant.

Word has been received in Oneonta of the death in France of Sergeant Charles Robert Slavin and Private Charles L. Saxton of that city.

Captain Frank Potter, formerly commanding officer of Co. D, 71st Inf., stationed at Sidney last year, has been wounded in action in France.

Dr. Charles Allaben of Roscoe, who is now in the service in England, has a leading article in the current number of the Surgeons’ Military Journal.

Lieut. Austin Hobbs of the U. S. Medical Reserve Corps died in France recently from pneumonia. He was a cousin of Mrs. J. H. Sawyer of Walton.

Morris Hess of Deposit of Co. M. 107th Infantry, was gassed during the drive near Cambria the latter part of September, and is now in a hospital at Bath, England.

Corporal Henry D. Faul of Co. H., 49th Infantry, in a recent letter home write that Carlyle Weyrauch, another Fishs Eddy boy, has been transferred to a Labor Battalion.

Private Harold E. Waters of Company F, 107th Infantry, formerly Co. F of Walton, writes his mother that he has been gassed in one of the recent engagements. His home in Norwich.

Word has been received by his mother, Mrs. Celia Palmatier of Hale Eddy, that Raymond Palmatier has arrived safely overseas. He was in 24th Co., C. A. C., Fort Adams, Newport, R. I.

Mr. and Mrs. A. M. Sutliff have received a card from their son, Bugler L. A. Sutliff of Co. F, 107th Infantry, stating that he was in a hospital. It is thought that he was wounded in the Cambral drive.

Wednesday’s casualty list contained the name of Leo Pratt of Hamden as having died of wounds in France. As stated in the Reporter last week, words to that effect was received from Benny Pratt, a brother of Leo.

Mrs. Robert Reeser of Sidney received a letter from her husband, Sergeant Reeser, during the past week, in which he states that he has fully recovered from his wound. He is still on duty guarding prisoners.

Letters received from Alex Launt of Co. F, 107th Infantry, by his sister, Miss Jennie Launt, state that he received a slight wound in the shoulder during the recent fighting. He has been promoted to corporal.

Mrs. Melvin Howe of Harvard is in receipt of a letter from her husband, Private Melvin Howe of the Field Artillery, 77th Division, stating that he was in good health, and while the division has seen hard fighting he has escaped injury.

Levi Olmstead, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Olmstead, formerly of Walton, writes from U. S. Base Hospital 23 at Southampton, England, that the wound in his arm received in recently, is healing nicely. He was with Company G, 107th Infantry.

Mr. and Mrs. Cole of Sidney have received word that their son, Monroe Cole, has been wounded in the left arm while in action in France. Mr. Cole enlisted in Co. F in Walton at the outbreak of the war, and was later transferred to Co. F., 107th Infantry.

The New York Times of Wednesday contained among the army orders announcement of the appointment of Rev. C. F. Wyckoff of Walton as chaplain with commission as a first lieutenant. Mr. Wyckoff has received no word from the War Department.

Frank Parsons of Deposit has received a letter from his brother, Private Wilbur J. Parsons Co. I, 312th Inf. Dated Oct. 7, that while doing gas guard duty he was shot in the foot, breaking a bone and resulting in his being sent to a base hospital for two or three months.

News has been received by Sidney Center friends that Corporal Charles Daimler, Private Horace More and Private Fred Werner of the old 71st Regiment have been killed in action. This makes seven of the boys who were stationed at Sidney Center who have given their lives within a few months. – Sidney Enterprise.

A letter was received last week by C. T. Finigan of Hobart from his son Private C. T. Finegan of the Machine Gun Co., 107th Infantry and published in the Hobart Times, states that Ray Spickerman of Bloomville, a member of that unit, had been killed in action. Ray Spickerman was one of the men who went out with Co. F. of Walton. It is stated that no official confirmation of the report has been received.

Letters received by Mr. and Mrs. Lester Joslyn of Grand Gorge from their oldest son, Arlie, who drives a supply truck in the 302nd Regiment of the 77th division, states that he is well but has had some narrow escapes from death. One of the recent ones occurred when a shell burst only fifteen feet from him, which damaged his truck, injured the man who was sitting beside him in the truck, and tore his coat almost in shreds, but did not injure him at all. His division had been in active service at the front for one hundred consecutive days, and at one time he had driven for 36 hours without sleep or rest, yet he only says “We get used to it; don’t worry about me, I am all right.” Mr. and Mrs. Joslyn’s second son, Clarence, who is in camp in North Carolina, has been dangerously ill with pneumonia, but is now recovering nicely; and their third son, Wilbur, has passed his physical examinations, and is now waiting for his call to service. – Grand Gorge cor.


Village and Vicinity Hard Hit by the Epidemic.

(From Grand Gorge correspondent.)

Services were held in both M. E. and R. D. churches last Sunday. Our village school was opened Monday morning, all having been closed because of the epidemic of Spanish influenza which has been so prevalent in town during the past few weeks, but which at present is subsiding, as there are no new cases and those who have been afflicted with same are all improving. There have been 12 deaths in and near Grand Gorge from the disease or from pneumonia following the influenza. They were Mr. and Mrs. John Rifenburg, Mrs. Thomas Moore, Mrs. Will Jones and little son, Mrs. Smith, Orson Whitmore, Mrs. Will Oakley, Mrs. Frank Mattice, Mrs. Votee, Mrs. Ira Partridge and Ernest Jones, all of whose friends and relatives have the sincere sympathy of the entire community.


Many Places Will be Short of Medical Attendance.

Nine Delaware county physicians have entered the military service in recent weeks or are under orders to report soon at training camps. They are Dr. E. Ray Gladstone of Walton, Dr. N. B. Whitcomb of Bovina Center; Dr. Lloyd C. Warren, Franklin; Dr. Robert Brittain, Downsville; Dr. J. H. Acheson, Hancock; Dr. P. S. Young, Sidney; Dr. T. L. Craig, Davenport; Dr. William Ormiston, Delhi; Dr. C. L. Wakeman, Andes.

The calling of these physicians into service leaves man of the smaller places short of medical help and some territory in the county will be without a physician.


Franklin Depot Boy Has Busy Time Dodging Hun Explosives.

Letter from Charles W. North, Jr., of Co. A, 302nd Field Battalion of the 7th or Camp Upton Division, to his father, C. W. North of Franklin Depot: France, Tuesday, Sept. 10th, 1918. Dear Papa:

Well, papa, the Germans bombarded this little town yesterday with their six-inch shells, and one came very near me, in fact, it came near cleaning up seven of us boys and our lieutenant. I had been laying in my bunk all morning because I did not feel very good and it being a little chilly. The shack we had for our wireless was a small one, 7 feet wide, 20 feet long and 8 feet high. The instruments were located down in the right-hand corner and five of us slept overhead on boards, where there was a little hay; down under me slept our lieutenant, who is to be our captain soon. Well, I was to go on duty at noon, so at about 11:40 I thought I would get up and go to get my mess in order to relieve the operator as near on time as possible. I had just got my shoes on when I heard a shell whistling toward me, and strike in the road a hundred yards away, falling short of town. The shells have an awful explosion, and therefore, sound nearer than they really area. I knew that that was no place for me, so immediately started to crawl through a hole on the side, and as I raised on my feet, a shell came directly through the roof, two feet from me giving me a shower of sticks, broken plate, etc., and passing through my bunk and on down in the lieutenant’s room and out through the side, which is stone, two feet thick, and down into the ground. I jumped out through the side, and started down the hill to our kitchen, where there is a dugout. Just as I got out and started down the hill I heard another shell coming and ducked down behind a stone wall; other men were running in all directions, then on to the dugout till the shelling was over. The cooks were in the dugout and two or three other men that were nearby. Fritz hammered away for twenty minutes, after which he stopped. I started back to the wireless shack. One shell had struck the barn that I had been in and killed five horses and three mules, the roof and side fell in-

Oh, I am ahead of my story a little. When I got to the dugout I told the men there that the second shell exploded and sent a piece through the roof where I was sleeping. I did not know that the whole shell came through until I returned and saw a hole two feet square in the roof and five feet high and three feet wide through the side and not much of a hole in ground. As luck would have it, the shell did not explode. If it had, that wireless shack would have been blown to atoms. The lieutenant was in his room lying down. A piece of board hit his leg or hip, but not serious. One piece hit my ankle pretty hard, but only hurt part of the day. The lieutenant’s room was certainly a mess, with the wall completely gone from one side. My blanket and shelter half were hanging down through the broken boards somewhat torn. Had I been lying down as I was all the morning and even one minute before, it would have gotten both legs at the knees. The main board that I lay on broke and went down through. I was actually standing on one end of my blanket and shelter half when the shell went through the other end. My head was practically against the roof not more than two feet away. It is a wonder that I was not hit by a piece of the two thick planks that the shell went through just inside the roof. After the shelling we began to move to caves and dugouts. We found a nice little one down the hill in the rocks. Brigade headquarters was in a large house thirty feet in front of us, and the general thought it was about time for them to move also, so they found a cave at the foot of the hill. At about 7:30 at night shells began to come again. Our sergeant was on duty, so the rest of us all hit for the big cave fifty feet in back of the wireless room. The shells were falling on top of our cave and down in town. One slipped down over the bank and struck 15 or 20 feet from the wireless room door, knocking down a 15 foot thick stone wall and blew off our door, scattering dirt and sand all over the instruments, only giving the sergeant a good scare. He immediately left there and came in where we were. There was an awful concussion in the cave. One soldier and two or three more horses were killed and the house where the general had been was struck by two shells and half of it wrecked. The next morning more shells came, but not much damage.

With love to all, CHARLES.


Walton Committee Organized Under Mr. Cupp.

George N. Cupp has been appointed chairman of the Four Minute Men organization for the village of Walton. The four Minute Men is a nation wide organization of volunteer speakers, and was organized June 16, 1917, for the purpose of assisting the various departments of the government in the work of national defense during the continuance of the war by presenting messages on subjects of vital importance to motion picture theatre audiences during the intermission. However, their work is not limited to theatres, but may extend to all audiences where an opportunity is afforded to inform the people. The four Minute Men organization is a division of the committee on public information. This committee was created by executive order of the President of the United States. The subject matter is prepared and the speaking directed under the authority of the government. The following speakers will assist Mr. Cupp: Rev. S. R. McEwan, A. D. Peake, A. J. Courtney and Arthur W. North. Others may be asked to assist in this work.


Few New Cases of Influenza Reported This Week


Walton Suffers More than Any Town in This Section - Ban Off in Other Villages This Week.

The quarantine on public gatherings in the village of Walton will be raised next Monday, November 11. The schools will reopen that morning, after being closed four weeks. The churches will remain closed Sunday. The Ogden Library will reopen Monday afternoon.

Physicians state that very few new cases have been reported during the past week, and that most of those who have been seriously ill are now out of danger. There have been three deaths from the disease. Max Stern on October 31, Fred Steadman on November 3 and George Bailey on November 4. There have been twentyfive deaths from the influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic.

Owing to the great falling off in the number of cases it has been found inadvisable to continue the kitchen in the High School longer. During the worst of the epidemic hot food was furnished to a large number of families who were unable on account of illness to do their own cooking. Mrs. B. G. North had charge of this phase of the relief work.

Public places in most of the other towns in this section have been reopened. While there have been a large number of cases in other localities there have been more deaths in Walton in proportion to population than in any place in this section. Rock Rift, 8 miles from Walton, has had five deaths.


Frank Lawrence of Deposit and Lorenzo Miller Both Promise Reform.

Superintendent Charles Phelps of the Humane society was called to Deposit recently by complaints made that Frank Lawrence of that village had deserted his wife and three small children. Investigation showed that the complaints were well founded and that the family were without food or fuel. It was learned that Lawrence was at Lanesboro, Pa., and Mr. Phelps went after him. Lawrence waived extradition and accompanied the officer back to Deposit. He pleaded guilty to the charge before a justice and was placed under probation for six months, with the understanding that he provide for his family, which he promised to do. A position was found for him at once.

Mrs. Minnie Miller of Laurens came to Sidney Monday morning and had a warrant issued charging her husband, Lorenzo Miller, with nonsupport of his four children, all of whom are under 11 years of age. His wife stated that he had deserted her at Otego last December and had contributed nothing towards the support of his family since that time. He was placed on probation for two years and ordered to pay the probation officer $6 weekly for the support of his children.


James Grant, Boiler Inspector, Shoots Self at Liberty Hotel.

James Grant of Downsville ended his life Wednesday of last week by shooting himself at the Yendes Inn in Liberty. He was a state boiler inspector and when in Sullivan county, which was in his district, made his home at the Yendes Inn. He was in his room at the hotel at about noon on Wednesday, and he sent for Joseph Moliter at Gerow’s garage across the street. Mr. Moliter responded to the call. He says that apparently Mr. Grant wanted to tell him something, but that he never succeeded in doing so. He would start to make a statement, and then wandered off and became unintelligible. A few minutes after Mr. Moliter left him he was found lying on the floor, a thirty-two caliber revolver in his hand, and a bullet wound about half inch above the right ear. He was dead when found.

James Grant was the son of the late David Grant, and was born on his father’s farm, near the J. N. Clements farm, forty-one years ago. He was married and resided at Downsville, and is survived by a widow and two sons.

Father and Child Die.

(North Kortright correspondent.)

Mr. and Mrs. Clark Bright of Kortright were called to Phoenicia last week by the death of her sister’s three year old son, the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Bogart. Mr. Bogart, who has also been critically ill a few days, died about the time of their arrival at the stricken home and a double funeral was held. Mrs. Bogart thus is left entirely alone, returned with her sister to Kortright. She is remembered here as Miss Vida Zeh of Davenport.

Epidemic at Treadwell.

(From our Treadwell correspondent.)

Very few families at Treadwell have escaped the disease, in most cases there being scarcely enough well to care for the sick. Schools in the village and vicinity and the church have been closed, this being the third week. There is only one doctor left since Dr. Warren was called for Franklin and vicinity and part of Meredith. Needless to say he is overworked.

Return to top