2018-10-10 / Looking Back

Looking Back

100 Years Ago, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12, 1918


What We Are Talking About at the County Hub


Auto Bumps Bicycle - Child Drowns in Washtub - Dairymen Want Breakstone Bros. to Sign.

James Wilson of Wilson Hollow has bought the house on Union street owned by William George of Rome, N. Y.

Ivan Crouse, Jr. son of Mr. and Mrs. Ivan Crouse of Marvin Hollow had his right leg broken above the knee Saturday when a barn door fell over on him. Dr. W. G. Smith was called and reduced the fracture.

At the meeting of members of the local Dairymen’s League and stockholders of the Walton Farmers’ Dairy Company, held in the court room of Walton Hall Saturday evening, it was decided to appoint a committee of three to confer with the Breakstone Brothers, who had not signed the league contract for October. Arthur Holley, Albert Potter and James Chambers were named as the committee.

The bicycle of Silas J. Beagle was struck by an automobile driven by Miss Shirley Beagle near the corner of North street and Benton Avenue last Friday. Mr. Beagle turned from Benton Avenue into North street just as Miss Beagle’s car approached the corner, going north. Mr. Beagle attempted to cross the road in front of the car and was nearly across when the auto struck the rear wheel of his bicycle. He was thrown off and had one leg painfully injured. The bicycle was smashed.

Street Commissioner A. L. Wade has just completed an improvement which has been much needed by the construction of a stone road on upper Townsend street, Mt. Pleasant. This piece of road often has been nearly impassable in winter. The grade has been restored and the highway widened and fendered. Mr. Wade now has one man devote all his time to the work of patching up the holes in the macadam roads in the village and in consequence most of the streets are in much better condition than in previous years.

Before the Court of Appeals this week was heard the appeal of the Travelers’ Insurance Company from the award of the State Industrial Commission given Mrs. Burt Litts of Readburn under the employer’s liability act, for the death of her husband, who was killed by a fall from the smoke stack of the Risley Lumber company’s acid factory at Rock Rift. The Risley Company carried insurance with the Travelers Company which is contesting the award on the ground that Litts was not in the company’s employ, but was an independent contractor.

As a result of a novel scheme at the Majestic theatre Saturday afternoon, 213 pounds of fruit pits and nut shells, used in the manufacture of gas masks, were received and in addition $6.30 in money was turned over to the Walton Red Cross Chapter. Every child bringing a pound of fruit pits or nut shells was admitted free and two prized of $2 and $1, respectively, were offered to the two children brining the most. Douglas Lincoln and Esther Woodburn tied for first place, having twenty pounds each. H. J. Northrup, the proprietor of the Majestic is to be commended for the enterprise in the matter.

Walton merchants have agreed upon a co-operative system of delivery in compliance with repeated requests from the state and federal food administrations and will put the same into effect within the next two weeks. All the merchants have agreed not to solicit orders, but goods will be delivered at a charge, probably of five cents. All the wagons will be taken off and the delivery business turned over to one person who will have charge of the deliveries from all the stores. The action taken is in line with that in other towns and will place the village residents on the same footing as the rural patrons who have always taken home their purchases. It will not only result in releasing several men for other work, but will doubtless result in a saving to the customer as the cost of delivery has always been a large item with the stores, which will hereafter be borne only by the customers who request delivery.

Frances, the 21 months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tony Liguori, Burton street, was drowned in a tub of water late Tuesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. Liguori conduct a store on Burton street, just across the Dry bridge. The mother had left the child on the back porch to play while she was grinding some coffee in the store. On the porch was a 50-pound lard tub which had been used for washing clothes and in which there were several inches of water and soap suds. Little Frances evidently tried to look over into the tub and in some way lost her balance and fell in head first. The mother was gone ten or fifteen minutes and on her return was horrified to find her daughter’s body in the tub. Life was apparently extinct at the time, although no one in the family appeared to know what first aid remedies to apply before the arrival of Dr. Gould. Dr. C. R. Woods of Delhi, the coroner was called and issued a death certificate. The burial service was held Thursday morning at 11 o’clock. There is one other child in the family, an infant son.

Influenza Cases Here.

There are a large number of cases of influenza or grippe in Walton, but only a few have developed into pneumonia. There is little sickness in the schools except from whooping cough. The doctors have been busy night and day for the past two weeks. The physicians state that if persons taken ill with influenza or heavy colds will stay at home and take care of themselves they will avoid the danger of the disease.


Mystery Surrounds Wounding of Kelly Corners Lad.

(From our Halcottville cor.)

Loren Shultis of Kelly Corners was removed to the Kingston hospital on Tuesday morning suffering from a bullet wound in the chest. The circumstances surrounding the shooting are a mystery as the boy has refused to talk.

The shooting was done with a rifle and the bullet entered the chest above the heart. The young man, who is 17 years of age, was found in that condition at his home Tuesday morning. Although conscious he refused to give any explanation of the shooting. Physicians were unable to dislodge the bullet and it was considered advisable to remove him to the hospital.


In February Andrew Called Himself - Accepted Call in May


“I Deeply Appreciate the Mention of My Name,” says Andrew in Reply to His Own Call.

How Andrew McNaught, Republican candidate for county judge, made a call for himself, heard the call for himself, and answered the call for himself, makes a unique and interesting example of how an aspiring candidate creates aspirations in the proletariat.

Late last February the Catskill Mountain News came out with the momentous announcement that the highest office in the county – that of judge and surrogate – was to be filled the coming fall. Then the News went on to say:

“The place, of course, must be filled by an attorney of ability. We have in mind such a man. He is amply qualified by education, legal attainments and experience, as well as by character and judicial temperament for this high office. He is Andrew J. McNaught, Jr., of Stamford. We do not believe that Mr. McNaught would enter the field as a candidate unless he can be convinced that there is a strong desire among his Republican friends that he do so. We believe that an earnest effort should be made to secure his consent to become a candidate.”

Now, country newspapers, if left alone, are not filling county offices it the winter time. It was Andrew himself who wrote the touching tribute the News printed. A judge, like a preacher, must be “called.” As there was no one to call Andy, he “called himself.” He should not be blamed for there was no other way; nobody but Andy who realized way back in March that it was time to digest the fact that there was a county judge to be elected and to proceed to put himself in the first line trenches.

As stated above it was late in February that Andy called himself. Andrew gave the call time to sink in. There was no unseemly haste in accepting by himself the call extended to himself. It was not until May that Andrew responded to his own call. On May 8th Andrew came out with a letter in the Stamford Mirror stating that he had carefully considered the invitation to become a candidate. “I deeply appreciate the mention of my name for the nomination,” is the way Andy put it. In a word Andy having mentioned his own name for the office in the News in February, in May extends his appreciation to himself for “the mention of my name for the nomination.” But Andy didn’t stop with “deeply appreciate the mention of my name for the nomination.” He wasn’t going to leave any doubt about the answer to the call of himself to himself. He boldly said, “I will accept the nomination.” There being no other Republican candidate in the primary Andy got it and is now busily contributing further articles to the press showing he is young enough to be county judge.

P. S. The above article is not a romance or a joke. It is the truth. The facts were obtained by the Reporter from a Republican source, which even Andy could not question.


Brings Condemnation Proceedings to Secure Title.

The state, through the Conservation Commission, has brought condemnation proceedings against the Belle Ayre Company and the Backwoods Club to obtain title for the forest preserve to the land owned by three companies in the Catskill Mtns. in the vicinity of Fleischmanns and Pine Hill.


Items of Interest About Men in the Army and Navy.

Wm. J. Roney of Andes, of the 27th Artillery has been home from Camp McClellan, Alabama, for a ten-day furlough.

Lyle Carpenter of Delhi, now with Field Bakery Service Co. 63, at Camp Wadsworth, Spartanburg, S. C., has been promoted to sergeant.

Harvey L. Perkins, of the United States ship “Alert,” has been spending a seven-day furlough with his mother, Mrs. H. J. Perkins at Sidney Center.

Robert W. Russell of Delhi, who was inducted into service some time ago and sent to Oswego for mechanical training, is now stationed at Fort Wright.

Martin H. Sommer of North Branch, who went to Camp Jackson, South Carolina, on September 9, died of pneumonia there on Saturday, Sept. 28.

Ross Holdredge of Mc- Donough, Chenango county, died the latter part of the week at the Newport naval training station from pneumonia, following influenza.

Hugh Mitchell of East Meredith has received word that his grandson, Corporal Floyd H. Mitchell, is rapidly recovering from his wounds, which he received in action recently.

Private George H. Fancher of Stamford passed the examinations at Washington barracks and has been sent to the Engineer’s Officer’s Training camp at Camp Humphreys, Va.

Bissell Snow of Sidney, electrician on the U.S.S. Harrisburg has returned to his ship after enjoying a brief furlough with his mother, Mrs. Eli Snow. He has made several trips across the ocean.

John W. Hanford was in Delhi Sunday en route for Flushing, L. I., where he is in the Naval service as inspector of hydroplanes. He reports his experience in a flight in a hydroplane from Far Rockaway to Cape May, N. J.

Mrs. Agnes Douglas of Binghamton, formerly of Delhi, has received word that her son, Donald A. Douglas, a member of the First Military Police, is in base hospital 6 in Bordeaux, where he is recovering from the effects of a wound.

Charles S. Jennings, son of Mr. and Mrs. Dan Jennings, of Oneonta, formerly of Afton, died Wednesday, October 2, at Durham, N. H., where he was receiving special training as an electrician. Death was due to Pneumonia following influenza.

Roderick Tooley of Stamford, who went to the Syracuse recruit camp about three weeks ago with a number of limited service men from this district, has been transferred to the photographic division of the aviation section and is now stationed in Washington, D. C.

Mrs. James Gladstone of Andes and her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Gladstone of Margaretville departed for Camp Jackson, South Carolina, Friday evening where Arthur Gladstone is critically ill from pneumonia, following Spanish influenza. – Margaretville cor.

Dr. L. D. Bassett of Sidney passed through Walton Wednesday on his way to Camp Greenleaf, Georgia, where he will enter the dental officers’ training camp. He has been commissioned a first lieutenant. Dr. Bassett was in Walton last summer with Co. C., 71st Infantry, but later was sent to Buffalo to complete his studies.

William Brayman, who enlisted in the U. S. Marine corps in August and has been home visiting his mother, Mrs. Lottie Brayman, in Walton, received orders to report in New York Monday and left that afternoon. He did not know to which of the Marine training camps he would be assigned, Mare Island, Paris Island or Quantico, Va.

Rev. T. B. Anderson, of Paul Smith’s N. Y. has entered the service as a chaplain. His family is to live at Malone, while he is away. Both Rev. and Mrs. Anderson are former Delhians and both are graduates of Delaware Academy. Mrs. Anderson is remembered as Miss Bessie Graham, daughter of County Treasurer, H. S. Graham.

Henry Rockefeller, Charles Becker, Floyd Ruff, James Pritchard, Frank Griffin and Walter Davidson, of Bloomville, have lately made application, through Merrill & Humphries for enlistment in the Merchant Marine. They may not receive their call into the service for some weeks. Four others, previously mentioned, have not yet received their call.

Fred J. Joyce of Unadilla, father of the late Lieut. Whitney H. Joyce, who died in France last spring, has received a letter from Major J. A. Sweet, whose mother, Mrs. J. J. Sweet lives in Unadilla, which tells the way in which Lieut. Joyce met his death. A gas bomb exploded in the doorway of the cellar filling it with poisonous gas where Lieut. Joyce and another medical officer were caring for the wounded. Both worked until all the wounded were taken from the cellar and then collapsed. Both died of septic pneumonia at the casualty clearing station. Lieut. Joyce was attached to the 1st Royal Warwick regiment at the time of his death. – Unadilla cor.

Ralph and Stoddard Stevens of Hobart have had a second thrilling experience and fortunate escape from peril at sea. They were members of the navy crew of the American steamer, Herman Fraesch, recently sunk off the Nova Scotia coast in collision with the American tank steamship, George G. Henry. A telegram received by Mrs. and Mrs. E. Stevens Sunday stated that the boys were safely landed in New York. Ralph and Stoddard who are sons of Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Stevens, enlisted early in the war and were members of the President Lincoln which was sunk by a submarine last summer, at which time they were rescued after passing many hours at sea on a raft.


John Dimicco and Frank D. Young Victims of Disease


Deaths in Army and Navy From Epidemic are About Five Thousand.

Pneumonia following an attack of Spanish influenza caused the death this week of two Sidney young men in the service, one in the army and the other in the navy.

John J. Dimicco, aged 21 years, who enlisted in the navy in August, and was called to the Newport naval training station in September, died in the hospital there Friday. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dimicco of Sidney and beside the parents he is survived by six sisters and three brothers.

Frank D. Young, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank D. Young of Sidney, died Friday at Camp Merit, N. J. He was 29 years of age and was inducted into service last May from Susquehanna, Pa. He was married on November 7, 1917 to Miss Alice Thompson of Sidney, who, with the parents and one other brother, Harvey B. Young, of Sidney, survive.

The deaths of the two Sidney young men make six deaths within two weeks from pneumonia following influenza of Delaware county young men in the services. The four others were Frank Kittle, Arena, Andrew Eadie, DeLancey, Theodore W. Cable, Deposit, and Lamanche Vrooman, Stamford. There have been about 5,000 deaths in the army and navy in this country from pneumonia following influenza. The seriousness of the epidemic may be seen from the fact that the deaths in the United States are nearly half of the total of those killed in action, or who have died from wounds in France.


Lieutenant Ford M. Terry Fought Way Through German Lines.


With Rest of 27th Division Walton Men Undoubtedly Have Taken Part in Big Push.

How Lieutenant Ford M. Terry, a former Walton boy, distinguished himself for bravery in action is graphically described in press dispatches telling of the heroic condut of the men of the 27th or New York Division in action on the Cambral St. Quentin front in France.

Lieutenant Terry was a resident of Walton until about twenty years ago when he entered Eastman Business School at Poughkeepsie, and later went to New York and during recent years has been a public accountant in New York city. He spent two years in Alaska during the gold rush. He was a member of the Seventh New York Regiment and was transferred to the 107th Infantry when the Seventh and First Regiments were consolidated at Camp Wadsworth, S. C., to form the 107th. As he was with Company B, 107th Infantry, it is probable that the Company F men, who were transferred to Company F, 107th Infantry, have been in the thick of the fighting during the past week near St. Quentin, where the American troops, aided by the British and Australians, have made a notable advance. The 107th first saw duty in the first line trenches in August.

Here is the story as sent over by cable, dated October 4, with the British forces in France and telling of splendid deeds by other American soldiers of the New York Division:

“A New York division, cooperating with an Australian corps north of St. Quentin, encountered the severest opposition, and although suffering heavy losses, fought with the greatest bravery, according to an officer of the Australian troops in a telegram which he sent today to the general in command of the New York soldiers.

“The Australian officer said that from a personal reconnaissance made by him over the battlefields east and northeast of Duncan Post, it was evident the Americans of this division from the outset had met determined opposition. They pushed forward in the face of an enfilading fire from German machine guns.

“The dead, of whom there were large numbers, the Australian wrote, were all lying with faces toward the front. Not a man was moving backwards when he was killed.

“Further stirring stories of individual cases of heroism are now available. Father Francis A. Kelly, of Albany went over three different tops with the men in one day, and administered to the badly wounded. He finished the day with his hair white.

Lieutenant Ford M. Terry, formerly a New York public accountant, was with his platoon in advance of the American barrage when the Germans came in and from the flanks, and forced the Americans to take shelter in shell holes. Corporal Arthur Leader of New Jersey, offered to go back through the barrage for help, but the lieutenant refused to allow him to sacrifice himself.

“Soon Terry split his men into groups of three, and they started to fight their way back to their own lines.

“They climbed from the shell holes, and with grenades gradually forced their way back and reached their lines just as other advancing Americans came smashing through.

“On the way back to their own lines Terry’s men saw a dead American captain lying in a shell hole. He had five empty cartridges in his pistol and there were five dead Germans lying almost on the outer lip of the crater.”


Instructions from County Fuel Administrator J. L. Clark of Sidney.

To win the war is the great national problems of today.

Coal is one of the great necessities of this problem and to conserve coal to the best advantage is one of the largest problems entering into our “winning the war.” Conservation of coal in Great Britain is governed by drastic rules. If cinders are found in the dust bin of any consumer he is liable to six months’ imprisonment.

England allowed during the winter of 1917, 200 pounds per week to a family occupying four rooms. Fuel was so scarce in France that during last winter the amount of coal allowed to domestic consumers was 25 pounds per month. To avoid our county being compelled to resort to such drastic measures as Great Britain and France, the Fuel Administration is asking all consumers of coal to conserve. To conserve properly requires steady and intelligent methods and the administration offers the following suggestions:

First: Do not start coal fires until absolutely necessary. For the month of October and part of November wood can be used to a good advantage.

Second: Your furnace or stove is in a way a machine. Any machine to run properly must have proper care. Do not fail to clean your “machine” properly before starting a fire and keep it in good running order.

Third: Heat only rooms that are in daily and constant use. It takes a larger amount of fuel to heat the whole house than it does to heat the rooms only in actual use. Temperature should be kept at 68 F.

Fourth: Storm doors and windows will save coal and save you money. By actual test a detached house requiring 35 tons of furnace coal was heated more thoroughly with 22 tons after it had been equipped with double windows and storm doors. Storm windows and door will save their cost in one year.

There has been no ruling that people owning wood shall be refused the use of coal, but it is possible that such a ruling may be given if found necessary. We would therefore advised that all people owning wood should be prepared to furnish their own fuel if necessary.

Households failing to comply with the administration requests should not find fault if they are unable to obtain the customary amount of coal during the months of January, February and March.


The workers at the Parish House on Wednesday, October 9th, were:

Miss Hazel E. Clark, Mrs. J. W. Thompson, Mrs. C. L. Watkins, Mrs. W. B. Morrow, Miss Edith Olmstead, Mrs. C. T. Browne, Miss Luella M. Burroughs, Miss Lena Browne, Miss Grace A. Retz, Mrs. L. Rose, Miss Evelyn Alberti, Miss Mary D. St. John, Mrs. H. T. Torrey, Mrs. G. M. McKnight, Miss Ada C. King, Mrs. Andrew Beers, Mrs. John Olmstead, Miss Hannah C. Edson, Mrs. L. Hilton, Mrs. G. T. Johnston, Mrs. Bertha Palmer, Miss Ellen M. Prickett, Minneapolis, Minn., Mrs. J. M. Eells, Mrs. Carrie Loushay, Miss Elsie Beers, Mrs. H. A. Hine, Mrs. Matilda Elwood, Mrs. C. S. Wheat, Mrs. S. B. Forsyth, Mrs. W. H. Kent, Miss Mary Thompson, Mrs. H. H. Austin, Mrs. E. T. Shaw, Mrs. Richard Tweedie, Mrs. D. M. Murray, Mr. Jas. Kent, Mrs. Dorothy Richtmyer, Miss Leola DuBois, Mrs. Robert Hazlett, Mrs. Walter Neish, Mrs. Emma Gillette, Mrs. W. B. Mc- Cabe, Mrs. J. J. Connelly, Mrs. A. D. Peake, Mrs. W. D. Osgood, Mrs. Lottie Brayman, Mrs. S. C. Bush, Mrs. T. M. Kingsbury, Mrs. Grace Garrison, Miss Florence Reynolds, Mrs. John Townsend, Mrs. Flora Robinson, Mrs. Geo. M. Carpenter.


Walton Has Passed the Two-Thirds Mark - Meetings Scheduled.

The Walton banking district has raised over $180,000 of its quota of $268,600 and before the closing week of the Fourth Library Loan passes the district will go over the top.

While Walton has reason to feel proud of the record and gratified at the liberal subscriptions of many, the number of subscribers to the loan has been rather disappointing and many have not purchased the amount they are able to take. For the third loan there were over 1,000 subscribers through the Walton bank. To the fourth loan there are as yet only 700 subscribers, though $50,000 more has already been taken over the total of the third loan.

The campaign had been rather slow until Monday night when at a rousing meeting of the workers in Walton Hall the sum of $71,500 was subscribed in addition to the $70,000 previously purchased. C. E. Hulbert, president of the First National Bank, subscribed for $10,000 of bonds at this meeting, and A. J. Courtney, local chairman, Henderson Brothers, H. W. Retz and C. G. DuMond took $5,000 each. There were other large subscriptions and the total of over $71,000 was quickly reached.

Private R. D. Shepard of the 29th Cavalry has been in Walton several days and assisted at Liberty Laon meetings conducted by local workers in the outlying districts.

Employees of the O. & W. railroad in Walton have taken over $7,000 of bonds through the company, and it is understood that the district quota will be reduced by the amount of these purchases.

The loan rallies have been arranged for this week. The first will be this evening, Friday, in Walton Hall, when the Metropolitan Troupe of New York will be present in a program of patriotic music. There will be an address by Hon. M. Linn Bruce, former lieutenant governor of the state and short talks by three soldiers just returned from the battle front. There will be no admission charge.

On Tuesday, meetings have been arranged for both afternoon and evening in Walton Hall, with addresses by Hon. James T. DuBois of Halstead, Pa. former U. S. ambassador to Switzerland. Patriotic moving pictures will be shown at the meeting at 2 o’clock in the afternoon and also at 8 o’clock in the evening.


Margaretville Man Makes $10 From Investment.

(From our Margaretville cor.)

During the cherry season this year in order to keep the birds away, W. H. Brown of Margaretville placed an umbrella in one of the trees to act as a scare-crow. This attracted a large swarm of bees which alighted under the umbrella and which Mr. Brown immediately hived. Recently he took from the hive 40 pounds of fine buckwheat honey, which he sold at 25 cents a pound.

Deer Destroyed Buckwheat.

(From our Cannonsville cor.)

Percey Taylor and E. Bush, farmers living between Kelsey and Cadosia, have each had a piece of buckwheat almost entirely destroyed by deer. The animals come from the surrounding woods and are quite tame and are not easily frightened.


Base Rate Fixed at $3.65 per Hundred by Federal Commission.

An action has just been taken which will materially affect every dairyman in the country. The Dairyman’s League price for October milk of $3.65 per hundred has been reduced by the United States Food Administration to $3.57 per hundred, and the new base price zone established by the League for October as 250 miles from New York has been changed back to 150 miles, as it was before October.

At a special meeting of the League board of directors called at the request of Herbert Hoover, United States Food Administrator, in New York, October 2nd and 3rd, the directors were read a request asking them to accept the above price and conditions. There being no choice in the matter, the directors passed the following resolution:

“Whereas, Herbert Hoover, Food Administrator of the United States, has requested this organization to agree to a price of $3.57 a hundred for the month of October for 3 per cent milk, subject to previously existing freight and butter fat differentials;” and

“Whereas, he states that the acceptance of this request by producers will be material assistance to his war efforts;”

“This statement is to us imperative and is interpreted as a mandate, as every persona and organization interest must be subordinate to winning the war; Therefore, be it

“Resolved, that we advise our members to comply with such requests,”

Owing to the change in the new base price zone from 250 to 150 miles, the base price in Walton for 3 per cent milk will be reduced from $3.71, as originally fixed by the Dairymen’s League. The retail price of grade B milk in New York has been fixed at 15 ½ per cents a quart.


The Binghamton Republican, like its distinguished fellow Republican, the New York Tribune, fell into the error placing Christ’s birthplace in Nazareth. It really looks as if Republican editors needed Bibles.


Jacob Pole Employed in Plant Wrecked by Fire.

(From our Hamden cor.)

Jacob Pole of Hamden was an employee of the Gillespie shellloading plant at Morgan, near Perth Amboy, N. J., which was destroyed by a series of explosions last Friday. Mrs. Pole received a telegram Sunday stating that her husband was not injured. About one hundred workmen were killed.


Lightning Caused Destruction of Both Buildings.

During the severe electric shower Saturday night lightning struck the large barn on the Jason Eggleston farm on Johnny Brook, near Cannonsville. The fire spread rapidly and the barn and contents, consisting of the season’s hay and grain, all the farming tools, wagons, etc. were burned. Fortunately the stock were in the pasture. The loss is a severe one to the owner, as there was only a small insurance on the building and contents.

The hay barn on the farm of Samuel Craig, Harpersfield, was destroyed by fire during the same thunder storm. The barn was an old structure, but in it were stored all of his hay except a stack, a quantity of buckwheat and about forty bushels of apples. Two calves and about sixty hens were also burned. It is thought that the bolt entered one of the hay mows, as the flames spread so rapidly that in an instant the whole barn seemed to be ablaze. Fortunately his cows were not in the stable and his horses were in another barn.

Spanish Influenza

Spanish influenza is nothing but the Russian influenza of 1889, 1890, 1892 and 1893. Simply influenza with a new surname. It is ushered in with chills, fever, eyes inflamed and running, headache, backache, bones ache, cough, general prostration. The disease is due to a germ lodging in the nasal passages of the mouth, throat or respiratory passages. Those between the ages of 20 and 30 are the most susceptible. The young are less liable to it than the older subjects.

Avoid all congregating on streets or in public places. Avoid all public gatherings in so far as possible. Avoid spitting in the presence of others, on sidewalks, or in any public place. Avoid coughing in the presence of others; if you do cough, cough in your handkerchief. Get out and get the fresh air as much as possible, but avoid congregating.

The Board of Health have instructed every physician to report every case of influenza at once to the health officer, who will follow the regulations of the sanitary code as regards quarantine and isolation.

By carefully reading and following, the above will go a long ways towards not having to close the churches, schools and other places of public gathering, as well as closing the manufacturing interests of our village.

Walton, N. Y. Oct. 10, 1918. Board of Health of Village of Walton, Walter G. More, President.

Return to top