2018-03-13 / Looking Back

Looking Back

100 Years Ago, SATURDAY, MARCH 16, 1918


What We are Talking About at the County Hub


High School Students May Dance - Large Sales of War Savings Stamps - Other Items.

A list of new books recently purchased for the Ogden Free Library will be found on page seven.

A home talent play, “The U.S.A. Princess,” will be given in Walton about the middle of April for the benefit of the Red Cross chapter.

Walton relatives received word on Wednesday, March 13, of the death early that morning in Chicago, Ill., of Mrs. S. B. Wade. Mr. Wade is a son of Mrs. E. J. Wade of Walton, and Mrs. S. B. Wade has frequently visited here with her husband.

No private flying will be permitted in the United States or its possessions after March 30. This announcement was made last week in a formal proclamation by President Wilson. This means that aeroplanes will not be an attraction at any of the agricultural fairs this fall.

Owners of dogs must renew their licenses before March 30. An owner of a dog who fails to obtain a license is subject to a penalty of ten dollars. Nearly 400 dogs were registered with Town Clerk John S. Eells last year and as yet not a fourth of the licenses have been renewed. The fee is $2.25 for males and $3.25 for females.

During the month of February $7,168.91 or War Savings Stamps and Thrift Stamps were sold through the Walton post office and the 87 other post offices which report to the Walton office. The sales in January were $7,321.93 and in December, $4,481.23. About one-third of the total was sold by the Walton office and in addition $609 of the stamps have been sold by the First National Bank. All the post offices in the county except Delhi, Stamford and Sidney report to the Walton office.

At the big sale of thoroughbred Holsteins in George M. Parker’s garage Friday, 103 head were sold for a total of $18,930. Twentyeight head owned by E. E. Risley brought $5,649, an average of $201.75, while seventy-five head sold by Mr. Chambers brought $13,281, an average of $163.75. One of Mr. Chambers cows sold for $630, and one consigned by Mr. Risley for $490. Colonel Kelly of Syracuse acted as auctioneer. Mr. Chambers also sold a number of grade Holsteins at auction Saturday.

At a meeting of the board of education last Thursday evening it was voted to re-engage Prof. George N. Cupp as instructor of agriculture at a salary of $1,625. The school now receives aid from the federal government for its agricultural department under the provisions of the Smith-Hughes bill. The state pays $1,000 of Mr. Cupp’s salary, the federal government $350 and the school district $275 or $75 less than last year. The board also voted to re-engage William K. Dunn as physical director at a salary of $1,000 and Prof. H. Francis Miles as instructor of music at $450. Miss Elizabeth Sayre has resigned as teacher of English.

The appellate division of the supreme court on Tuesday gave a hearing in the matter of the claim of May D. Litts against the Risley Lumber Co., appellant. Mrs. Litts is the widow of Bert Litts who was killed by a fall from the smoke stack at the Risley factory at Rock Rift. The Workmen’s Compensation commission granted Mrs. Litts an award of $6.92 weekly during widowhood and $2.31 weekly for each of two children until eighteen years old. The Risley Lumber Company was protected by insurance and the insurance company appealed from the award on the ground that Litts was an independent contractor and not covered by the law.

The team of Charles S. Wheat of Park street, who sells milk in the village, created some excitement on Delaware street Monday morning. One of the horses slipped and fell on the icy road near the East Brook bridge. The wagon tongue was broken by the animal’s fall and the team got beyond control. Near Henderson’s store the team broke loose from the sleigh which turned completely around on the icy highway. Mr. Wheat’s son, Edgar, who was driving, was not injured. The horses turned into the lane by the Majestic theatre and were stopped near Smith & St. John’s feed store. None of the milk in the sleigh was spilled. The horse that fell was somewhat injured, the wagon tongue broken and the harness damaged.

At a special meeting of the Board of Education of Walton union free school, held on Tuesday afternoon, March 12th, the request of the students for a dance after the basket ball game, on Wednesday night, was denied, but it was moved and carried that in consideration of the request from the students of the Walton high school, and realizing the demand and need of our young people in the school for amusement and recreation, that the Board of Education grant the use of the auditorium hereafter the dancing and other entertainment, under proper chaperones and hours, to be decided upon by the faculty. The motion was made by Mrs. H. W. Retz and was passed with only one dissenting vote. Only students will be allowed to attend the dances.


Flames Ruin Interior of Beautiful Structure


Shoe Shop Stock Destroyed, and Adjoining Buildings Damaged - Insurance Covers Loss.

The Colonia theatre, Norwich’s beautiful playhouse, erected only four years ago, was gutted on Sunday afternoon by a fire, which entailed a loss estimated over $50,000.

The fire started in the basement of the theatre about four o’clock in the afternoon, and was first discovered by Adam Tennis, manager of the theatre, who had been looking over some moving picture films, and discovered smoke in the lobby, when he started to leave the building. The fire is thought to have started from an open gas jet, which had been left burning in the basement.

The Colonia block is of practically fireproof construction, being chiefly of brick, steel and concrete, but the interior of the structure was left in ruins before the flames were subdued. George S. Hard conducted a large shoe store in the front of the building, and his loss is placed at $15,000 with only $5,000 insurance

The Cummins block immediately adjoining the Colonia on the south and the Lucas block to the north were saved by hard work on the part of the firemen. Damage placed at over $1,500 was caused to these two buildings and to the business places and families occupying them.

The Colonia theatre was erected at a cost of about $90,000, and was first opened to the public on December 23, 1914. The fire was largely in the front of the structure, and much of the damage was caused by the ruin of the expensive theatre decorations. There was about $55,000 insurance. The loss on the theatre is estimated at $30,000.


National Wool Grower Declares Retail Price Unreasonable.

The National Wool Grower, a trade magazine devoted to the interests of the sheep breeder, has the following to say about the high prices of all wool knitting yarn:

“This is the yarn now being used for sweaters, wristlets, etc. Three stores were visited in one of our large western cites to obtain the price at which this yarn is being sold to the consumer. Each of these stores visited asked $1.25 per hank, and four hanks weigh 15 ¼ ounces and are sold for one pound. So, the retail price is practically $5.00 per pound or a little over.”

“All over the land thousands of women are busy knitting garments, and when they go to the storekeeper to buy this yarn, they are charged $5.00 per pound for it. When they complain about the price, they are told that the high price is due to the high price of wool. Let’s see if this is true.”

“To make one pound of worsted knitting yarn requires 1 and 1/10 pounds of scoured quarter blood wool. On January 2, 1918, this wool was quoted in the Boston market at $1.30 to $1.35 per scoured pound. This is the highest price it has been. On this basis, then all the wool in a pound of this yarn costs the manufacturer about $1.45. For this amount the grower received last summer not to exceed $1.25, and in most cases very much less. On January 2nd the eastern mills were selling this knitting yarn at from $2.20 to $2.30 per pound, but they had purchased the wool, scoured it, dyed it, and spun it into yarn, so the price at which they are selling the yarn is not an unreasonable one. When this yarn is sold over the counter, the consumer pays $5.00 per pound for it. Does this look as if the wool grower was to blame for the high price of this yarn? If the wool grower had given back all he received for the wool in this pound of yarn, the yarn would still have cost the consumer $3.75 per pound.”


Distributors Fail to Agree to Continue Federal Commissions.

The conference held by the Federal Milk Commission and representatives of the producers and distributors at the Federal Food Board ended Tuesday night with indications that the Federal Milk Commission may not continue to fix the prices of milk after April 1, when the three-months period for which it was originally appointed will have expired. The continuance of the commission in office after that time is contingent upon the joint consent of the producers and distributors, which the commission failed to obtain. A final meeting will be held at the McAlpin on Sunday afternoon.

The condensers have already given notice that they will not abide by the commission’s rulings after March 31, in view of the changes in market conditions that must result from their having on hand a great quantity of condensed milk which cannot be shipped abroad. Manufacturers of butter and cheese have also given notice of their withdrawal on the ground that they are unable at the present high price of milk to turn it into butter and cheese at a profit.

The farmers are willing to leave the question of price with the federal commission. If the matter is not amicably adjusted the distributers may seek to break the power of the Dairymen’s League by refusing to pay League prices during the month of April when there will be a flush of milk.


Plans Being Made to Reopen Several Plants - Rebuild at Dunraven.

At a recent meeting of the directors of the Dunraven Co-operative creamery Co., held at the residence of Timothy Laughman, it was voted unanimously to rebuild, and Ziba Sanford, William Franks, and Arthur Whitcomb were appointed committee to arrange about site.

Louis Kadans, who has rented the Elgin of the Catskills at Kelly Corners for a term of years, will spend about $10,000 there in improvements in order to make his famous Yankee cheese. Mr. Kadans is ready to make contracts to pay the League price for one year after April first.

The Bordens are getting ready to begin condensing milk at their Deposit factory. Two carloads of machinery have been shipped there. This will mean a considerable increase in employees at the Deposit branch.

The Delancy creamery, sold by the receivers of the Mutual McDermott Co., to Van Son and others, is being repaired, and made ready for operation.

Our Basket Ball Teams Wins.

The Walton high school basketball team defeated the fast Cooperstown five in the auditorium last Friday evening by the score of 33 to 26. The visiting team took the lead in the first half by a score of 13 to 10, but the home boys quickly overcame the lead in the second half. Courtney at forward starred for Walton with 13 points to his credit. Wednesday evening the Walton high school team defeated Hancock high school by a score of 30 to 12. The Walton girls also won from the Delhi girls.


E. R. Eastman and Others Will Speak at Gathering Today.

There will be a joint meeting of the Farm Bureau and Dairymen’s League held in Walton Hall today. Friday, March 15th, beginning at 11 a.m.

Before lunch there will be a business session at which committeemen for the coming year will be elected and plans of the Bureau discussed. Prof. C. O. Du- Bois, director of the Agricultural school at Delhi, will talk on the “Labor Question,” and there will be a short talk by the president of the Farm Bureau association, I. C. McKenzie on “The Farmer and the Food Problem.”

At noon there will be a community lunch with hot coffee furnished by the Farm Bureau association and served by the domestic science class of the Walton high school.

In the afternoon Edward R. Eastman, former county manager, who is now connected with the Dairymen’s League as state organizer, will speak, as also will Bruce M. Kilpatrick of Bloomville, director of the League in Delaware county. A motion picture film entitled “The Cost of Milk Production,” will then be shown. This film was prepared under the direction of Prof. H. E. Babcock, then state county agent leader, Mr. Eastman and Wayland P. Frost, state supervisor of dairy improvement work in the state. It should prove of special interest to dairymen.


Former Farm Bureau Manager Now Field Organizer.

Edward R. Eastman, former manager of the Delaware county Farm Bureau, who was promoted last summer to assistant state leader of the Farm Bureau work, has entered the employ of the Dairymen’s League as field organizer.

Mr. Eastman by indefatigable work built up the membership of the Farm Bureau from a few hundreds to a over one thousand. At the time of the milk strike it was largely through his efforts that the Delaware county dairymen were aroused and organized and the strike made effective in this section.

Officials of he Dairymen’s League recognized Mr. Eastman’s ability as an organizer and secured his services as field agent, a position he entered into on March first. Some of his first work will be in Delaware County. The Eastman family will retain their home in Ithaca for the present.


Measure Sought by Liquor Forces - Nesbitt Voted Right.

The state assembly on Tuesday by a vote of 84 to 64, decided to refer the prohibition amendment to the federal constitution to a referendum by the voters of the state this fall.

The anti-prohibition forces fought for the referendum and its adoption came after a session of bitter debate.

Assemblyman J. Clark Nesbitt of Bloomville voted with the prohibition forces against the amendment, while Assemblyman W. B. Voorhees of Roscoe, Sullivan county, cast his vote in favor of the referendum.

The federal constitution provides for the adoption of amendments by ratification by state legislatures and the referendum has been consistently opposed by the prohibition forces on the ground that neither the federal nor the state constitutions provided for a referendum. Any attempt to authorize one was merely dodging the issue and can result only in delay.


Money Needed to Maintain Unit Sent to France

The U.S.A. Women’s Oversea Hospital unit was organized in June, 1917, by members of the medical staff of the New York Infirmary for women. The physicians with the unit are all women and owing to the fact that there is no provision for women doctors in the United States army service, the government could not accept the offer made by the medical women and the unit was taken over by the French government but is supported entirely by voluntary contributions from the United States. The American Red Cross has offered the complete equipment for the Unit costing about $35,000.

The National American Woman Suffrage Association has undertaken as part of its war service program the raising of funds for the maintenance of the unit and $60,000 is the quota for New York state. Mrs. Henry W. Cannon of Delhi, assembly district leader of the Equal Suffrage party, expects to organize Delaware county soon to raise its apportionment for the fund.


Delhi Receives $4,512 Hamden $2,980 and Walton $7,222-Method of Division

The apportionment of public money has been made to the schools of the third supervisory district, Delaware county.

Town of Delhi, District No. 1, $152.48; No. 2, $176.23; No. 3 $173.51; No. 4, $153.35; No. 5, $173.46; No. 6, $196.51; No. 7, $172.70; No. 8, $173.46, No. 9 $150.42; No. 10, $172.17; No. 11, $197.77; No. 12, $197.10; No. 13, $197.77; No. 14, $194.96; No. 15, $196.09; No. 16, $1485.52; No 17, $196.00; No. 18, $155.04; total, $3,023.83, exclusive of No. 16, high school district.

Town of Hamden, district No. 1, $1775.95; No. 2, $232.14; No. 3, $152.09; No. 4, $196.87; No. 5, $197.10; No. 5, $717.87; No. 7, $172.96, No. 8, $196.44. No. 9; $153.76; No. 10, $162.07; No. 11, $195.92; No. 12, $195.37; No. 13, $196.90, No. 14, $195.39; No. 15, $196.40; No. 15, $195.65; total $2,980.04,

Town of Walton, district No. 1, $3,766.54; No. 2, $176.82; No. 3, $175.74; No. 4, $172.45; No. 5, $155.26; No. 6, $336.04, No. 7, $153.77, No. 8, $173.98, No. 9, $175.00, No. 10, $135.11; No. 11, $195.11; No. 12, $153.46, No. 13, $174.70, No. 14, $176.55; No. 15, $195.59; No. 16, $156.30; No. 17, $196.71; No. 18, $172.83; No. 19, $171.29; No. 20, $173.19; No. 21, $192.80, No. 22, $174.64; No. 23, $195.03; total $3956.58, outside of district No. 1.

The amounts apportioned to the high school districts will still go through the hands of the supervisors; all other apportionments will be paid by the county treasurer direct to the several town treasureres.

The apportionment was somewhat more complicated this year than formerly. The procedure is as follows: First, there is assigned what is called a district quota, based upon the assessed valuation of the district. Districts of $20,000 or less valuation are assigned a $200 quota each; all others of $40,000 or less are assigned a $175, quota each; all others of $60,000 or less, a quota of $150 each and all others a quota of $125. Then to the district quota is added one-half of the amount paid by the district last year for physical training and then from that total is subtracted 2% of the salary paid to the regular teacher last year.

Some misunderstanding arose last year in regard to the payment by the state of one-half of the cost of the physical training; many thinking that one-half would be paid last year, whereas public money is always based on the reports for the year that is ended, the preceding year.

Last year’s trustees may easily figure out from the foregoing explanation whether or not their districts have received the one-half of the cost of the physical training back again.

One district, No. 21 of Walton was exempt from the provisions of the physical training law, having no children in school over eight years old.

Trustees in district No. 5, Hamden and No. 16, Walton resisted the payment of the cost of the physical training to their respective districts, the first to avoid a net cost of $4.48, and the latter to avoid a net cost of $14.58. Both finally paid the amounts assessed. Each district has received one-half of the assessment.


James Cheevers Struck by Train While Crossing Tracks


Lived Until Home in Walton Was Reached - Formerly Conducted the Riverside Hotel

James Cheevers of Walton was struck and fatally injured by the Utica flyer at Northfield Wednesday morning, March 13th. Both legs were crushed below the knee and the injured man died about an hour later at his home on Delaware street extension, where he had been removed. He never regained consciousness.

Mr. Cheevers had been employed on the railroad with Silas Wolf’s section gang since January 16, 1918. He was a stonecutter by trade and did not expect to remain with the railroad company long. He had remarked to his wife that morning that it would be his last day on the railroad.

Mr. Wolf’s gang went to Northfield Wednesday morning to put in some tie plates, and were working just south of the crossing near the Charles White farm. The accident occurred about 8:25, and not three minutes earlier Mr. Cheevers had remarked to Mr. Wolf about the flyer coming, as the smoke from the engine was plainly visible down the valley.

Cheevers had just carried a tie plate across the track and started back after another. Apparently, he must have been absorbed in thought for he failed to hear or see the locomotive, although it was almost upon him when he started back across the track. The pilot struck him in the back and he was thrown to the right of the train. Both legs went under the wheels and were terribly mangled below the knees as the entire train passed over him. He skull was also fractured.

Mr. Wolf at once sent word to Middletown and Walton to secure the right of way and have physicians ready, and then brought the injured man to the village on the motor car. He was unconscious when first picked up and never recovered consciousness.

Dr. W. B. Morrow, the railroad physician, met the motor car with a stretcher and the injured man was removed to his home. Dr. Smith assisted the railroad surgeon in efforts to restore life, but the injured man passed away soon after he reached his home.

Mr. Cheevers is survived by his wife and an adopted daughter; by four brothers, William Cheevers of Acidalia, Mike Cheevers of Trout Brook, P. J. Cheevers of Forest City, Pa., and John Cheevers of New York city; also by one sister, Mrs. E. J. Hallivan, Watervliet. The funeral service will be held at St. John’s church Saturday morning, conducted by Father Burns. The body will probably be taken to Deposit for burial.

Mr. Cheevers was 53 years of age and lived at Peakville before coming to Walton. At one time he conducted the Riverside Hotel.


Planned to Have Bins Filled to Avoid Railroad Congestion.

All consumers of fuel, who expect to use coal next winter should place their orders for it on or about April 1, according to a new rule just issued by Fuel Administrator Garfield.

Every consumer, when he places his order on April 1, will find that he is governed by the following conditions:

An average reduction from present prices of 20 cents a ton is to be made by all retailers on coal sold between April 1 and September 1.

Each customer ordering coal will be required to submit a certified statement of his requirements, his supply on hand and the amount he has ordered from various dealers and the amount consumed during year ending March 31, 1918.

Retailers must report to the Fuel Administrator each month all deliveries, and are prohibited from delivering to any consumer fuel in excess of the amount named in his certified statement of requirements.

The statement of requirements should be filed with the dealer as near April 1 as possible, and should state the amount of coal needed for the year ending March 31, 1919.

Dealers shall make deliveries of anthracite until every consumer has received two-thirds of his stated or fixed normal requirements with the exception that orders of six tons or under may be filed at once.


Charles Medlar in Critical Condition from Accident

(From our Goulds cor)

George Medlar and son Norman of Goulds went to New York city last week to see Charles Medlar, who was seriously injured when his motorcycle broke. A fractured skull resulted and he now lies in an unconscious condition. George Medlar left again this week Tuesday to see him again.


Sidney Man Charged with Manslaughter for Auto Accident

The trial of David Reed of Sidney on a charge of manslaughter, second degree, as a result of an automobile accident, was ordered to pass the term by Justice A. L. Kellogg at the March term of supreme court for Otsego county in Cooperstown Monday.

Mr. Reed’s attorney, H. B. Sewell of Sidney, was ill and for this reason the case was ordered over. The trial of Mr. Reed is in connection with the death of Watson

Smith in an automobile accident near Unadilla last year. The Reed family are former residents of Jefferson and Mr. Reed’s many friends in that section have been watching the outcome of the case with interest.


Appellate Division Renders Opinions in Several Matters.

The appellate division of the supreme court last Wednesday handed down decisions of interest in several Delaware county cases.

The order of the Public Service Commission as to as to the adjustment of the cost of the overhead crossing on the state highway at Hubbell’s Corners, town of Roxbury, was reversed and the matter remitted to the commission to adjust in harmony with the opinion of the court. The total cost of the construction of overhead crossings is a charge against the railroad affected, in this case the Ulster & Delaware and the State Commission of Highways. The U. & D. railroad furnished the funds for the construction of the viaduct and approaches while the State Highway Commission purchased the additional land required. The matter of issue between the railroad and state is the question of interest on the amount expended by the railroad, the railroad claiming interest to April 1, 1917, and the state claiming January 1, 1917, as the time after which interest should not be paid. The court finds the Ulster & Delaware entitled to interest to April 1, 1917 and orders an adjustment of the matter as stated. The balance due the railroad after making allowances for the expenditure by the State Highway department is $15,046.20.

Mrs. Annie L. Ingham, widow of Chas. S. Ingham, lost her suit for damages against the Ontario & Western railroad. The judgment of the lower court in favor of the railroad was affirmed. Mrs. Ingham was married in Walton, March 2, to Leonard Christian of Walton.

The appellate division reversed the decree of the lower court and ordered a new trial in the case of Frank H. McKinnon of Sidney, administrator of the estate of Judge James R. Baumes against Julius E. Hall, as administrator of Robert Cartwright. The McKinnon- Cartwright case which has been in the courts for eight years is an appeal by Julius Hall, administrator of Robert Cartwright estate, from the decision of acting Surrogate, H. J. Hewitt of Delhi. The appellate court reversed his decision on the law and the facts and disapproved of his findings which made a deficiency on the accounting, and granted a new trial. Wm. Thorp appeared for the appellate and H. C. Kibbe, and Andrus & McNaught for the respondent.

The verdict of the Night Commander Lighting Co., against Ed. Windsor of Colliers in an action to recover the value of a gas plant, was affirmed, dissenting vote.

Twenty Delaware Boys in France.

At least twenty Delaware county boys are now “over there” in active service in France. Among them are First Lieutenant Donald Grant of Hobart, infantry; Captain Fred D. Wilson of Downsville and First Lieutenant R. H. Loomis of Sidney, medical corps; Charles Adams, Cannonsville; John S. Piper, Delhi, Clifton Franklin, Frank D. Brown, Delhi; Bernard Eger, Walton, McDonald Leighton, Walton; Frank H. Day, Sidney; Albert E. Caswell, Sidney; Charles E. Cooper, Lordville, Edwin Beers, Hancock, H.G. Benjamin, Lew Beach; Charles Schlager, Walton; Halladay Woods, Delhi; Linn Bruce, Jr., Andes; Henry Smith, Robert Larkin, Sidney; Clinton Smith, Walton; Lieut. Arthur J. Putnam, Deposit; Wm. Reese, Hancock. A few of those mentioned are with the British, Canadian and French forces. Miss Grace Doig of Walton is a nurse with the Roosevelt base hospital unit in France.


Margaretville Take Lead in Suffrage Movement.

(From our Margaretville cor.)

A union caucus of the voters of the village of Margaretville was held at the opera house Friday evening and the following were put on the ticket for election, March 19; president S. S. Myers; collector, Ferdinand Clute; trustees, Harry Miller, Mrs. D. L. Stewart, Mrs. J. J. Welch; treasurer, N. D. Olmstead.

Return to top