2017-10-11 / Looking Back

Looking Back

100 Years Ago, SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 1917


What We Are Talking About at the County Hub


Stole Cigarettes - Dog Bites Child - Want to Hunt With Ferrets - Buys Trucking Business.

About $8,000 of Liberty bonds have been subscribed for at the First National bank.

The Walton Chamber of Commerce has been asked to contribute $300 for the national fund for War Camp Community Recreation Work.

Otho Stern, who went to the Wrightstwon training camp last week, has been made a corporal in the military police. He was motorcycle policeman at Stamford last summer.

Saturday, October 13, is the first day of registration for the general election, November 6. Every voter should personally see that he is registered. If you are not registered you cannot vote.

Walton and Northfield friends of Rev. James Deane of Herkimer have received word of the recent death of his daughter. Mr. Deane was formerly pastor of the Congregational church at Northfield.

William C. Carins and J. J. Townsend left Thursday for Aloka, Washington, where they will work as fire patrol for the Aloka Lumber Co. Mr. Carins’ brother-in-law, Frank Millward, is overseer for the lumber company.

Melvin H. Smith has bought of Mrs. Wells Baker, her house on North street, located between the properties of S. H. Fancher and Calvin DuBois. Mr. Smith has moved there from C. T. Browne’s bungalow, High street.

Dr. Anna Howard Shaw, the noted suffrage leader, will speak at a patriotic meeting in Walton Hall Wednesday evening, Oct. 17. Monday evening she will be in Hancock, Tuesday in Stamford, Thursday in Downsville and Friday in Oneonta.

Harriet, the young daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Guild, of St. John street, was painfully bitten Sunday by a Great Dane dog owned by J. J. Flynn, a neighbor. The dog is kept tied up but Sunday one of the children released the animal.

Earl Armstrong and Walter Combs have purchased the trucking business conducted by Charles Paine for some years. Mr. Armstrong will retain his position as carrier in the Walton post office for the present. They have also bought George Barnes’ trucking business.

The drug store at West End, owned by H. E. Lane and managed by Arthur Hoyt, was broken into Sunday night, entrance being obtained through a window. The money drawer was broken open but it contained no change. A few packages of cigarettes were taken.

Alfred McLachlan of Walton and Winfield Mason of Northfield have joined the Company F depot unit on guard duty at Elmsford, N. Y. Several members of the company have been released. Among them are H. L. Newkirk and Terry Hulbert of Hamden and Fred Houck of Walton.

The following are the wholesale prices for farm produce in the Walton markets this week: Eggs, 50 cents a dozen; butter, tub, 45 1/2 cents a pound, prints 46 1-2 cents; potatoes $1.25 and few coming in; apples $1 a bushel; pears, $1.25 to $1.50 per bushel; cabbage, 5 cents a head; turnips, 50 cents a bushel.

Beginning Oct. 11 and daily, except Sunday, the Walton post office will dispatch mail by train 5, via Utica terminal railroad post office. This mail will close at Walton at 9 p.m., and will include mail for all eastern, western and southern points, including New York city. All letters deposited in outside boxes at post office before 9 p. m. will be included.

The Conservation Commission has not yet issued a permit for the use of ferrets in hunting rabbits in Delaware county, though an order permitting such use in Broome, Chenango, Madison, Otsego and eight other counties has been issued. A petition has been circulated in Walton asking that the commission issue an order for this county and this doubtless will favorably acted upon.

At the annual meeting of the Walton Chapter of the American Red Cross, held in the parish house Monday evening, the following officers were elected for the ensuing year: President, C. P. Wells; vice president, Mrs. C. S. Wyckoff; secretary, Miss Ada King; treasurer, George T. Johnston; members of executive committee, Mrs. B. G. North, Mrs. George T. Johnston, Mrs. A. A. Hoye, J. Fred Ames, William Doig.

Two indoor baseball teams are being organized in Walton to play a series of games in the armory, the proceeds to be added to the Company F fund. Pleman Hafele and Harry Wakeman are the organizers and captains. The barber believes he can come back with his famous spitball, while Wakeman asserts that cranking autos has not caused his ability as a ball tosser to deteriorate. Each captain is gathering a galaxy of stars and expects the games to rival the world’s series.


Estate of Willis Haring. Will of John W. Gould of Hancock Also Probated.

Estate of Ira Miller, late of Walton. Will admitted to probate and letters issued to Mary E. Miller. Estimate, $500 personal, $1,500 real, bequeathed to the wife.

Estate of Willis H. Haring, late of Walton. Will admitted to probate and letters issued to Nellie Haring. Estimate, $2,400 personal, $2,000 real. The use of all property is given to the wife, at her death to be divided equally between two daughters.

Estate of John W. Gould, late of Hancock. Will admitted to probate and letters issued to Wesley Gould. Estimate, $2,850 personal. The provisions of the will are as follows: To W. C. Gould, $100; to Eddie Gould, $200; to Marvin Schrier, $100; interest on $500 to Gould’s church; residue to two brothers, equally.

Estate of Joseph M. Clark, late of Roxbury. Letters of administration issued to H. Augusta Clark. Estimate, $1,000 personal.

Estate of George W. Ervey, late of Sidney. Letters of administration issued to George H. Ervey. Estimate, $200 personal.


Dan Sherman Purchases Academy Building to Convert into Hotel.

Dan Sherman, whose hotel at Sherman Lake was destroyed by fire, has purchased the old academy building at Fergusonville and will commence at once to remove it to the lake, where it will be remodeled to take the place of the burned building.


Well Known Walton Attorney Succumbs to Bright’s Disease - Served in Assembly.

Hon. Timothy Sanderson died at 2 o’clock Tuesday morning, September 9, at his home on Townsend street. For several years he had been in ill health and during the past few months has failed rapidly. Death was caused by Bright’s disease.

Mr. Sanderson was one of the oldest and best known members of the Delaware county bar. Since 1879 he has practiced law in the county, first at Sidney Center and later in Walton, and had been honored by offices of trust by his fellow citizens.

Mr. Sanderson came of sturdy Scotch-Irish ancestry. He was born in the town of Meredith on October 11, 1845, one of a family of ten children, of whom only two survive. He spent his early years on the farm of his father and subsequently pursued his studies at the Delaware Academy in Delhi and the Walton Academy, graduating from the latter in 1868. The same year Mr. Sanderson entered Cornell University, being a member of the first freshman class of that institution of learning. He was graduated from Cornell in 1872 with the degree of A. B.

During the following two years he was principal of the Red Creek Union School at Red Creek, Wayne county, going from there to Sag Harbor, Suffolk county, where he remained for three years as principal of the Union School of that place. Returning to Ithaca he became a student in the law office of Frank E. Tibbets, and, being admitted to the bar in 1879, very soon after began the practice of his profession at Sidney Center, Delaware county.

In 1883 he was elected to the assembly from Delaware county, and served with distinction on the Judiciary Committee and the Committee on Public Education. in the early nineties he removed from Sidney Center to Walton, which has since been his home. He was for a time editor of the Walton Chronicle. He had served many years as a member of the Board of Education of the Walton High School, and as a justice of the peace in the town.

In 1893 he married Miss Roxie Bishop of Sidney Center, who, with one daughter, Elizabeth, at home, survive him. He leaves also a brother, Robert G. Sanderson, of Tiltonville, Ohio, and a sister, Mrs. Margaret Moore, of Walton.

The funeral service was held at the home on Townsend street Thursday at 11 o’clock, conducted by Rev. B. M. Denniston, with burial in Walton cemetery.

In fraternal circles Mr. Sanderson was affiliated with Walton Lodge No. 559, F. & A. M.

Consider Belcher Murder Case.

The Chenango county grand jury considered this week the evidence against Elmer Youngs, held for the murder of Frank Belcher at Oxford. The grand jury will report next Monday.


Machine of Charles W. Henderson Demolished


Car Thrown Forty Feet and Against Fence - Delhi Motorist Has Accident on State Road.

The Overland automobile owned and driven by Charles W. Henderson of Walton was demolished Saturday evening when struck by Ontario & Western train No. 3, the Delaware county express, at Barlow’s crossing between Beerston and Rock Rift. Mr. Henderson jumped from the machine just before the crash came and escaped injury.

Mr. Henderson was returning home from a business trip to Sundown, Ulster county, and reached the crossing about 6:30 o’clock in the evening. The crossing is an open one with the view unobstructed. The tracks run parallel to the highway both north and south of the crossing, but as the railroad bed is elevated above the highway there is a sharp pitch in the highway on each side as the road mounts the crossing.

As Mr. Henderson turned for the crossing he looked down the track and saw the headlight of the approaching engine. At first glance he mistook it for a light in the Barlow home, but almost instantly saw his danger. He swung the machine out of the highway and applying the brakes stopped the car just on the edge of the track.

The locomotive was almost upon him and Mr. Henderson vaulted out of the machine. Hardly had he cleared the rear of the machine when the pilot beam of the engine caught the automobile and threw the machine forty feet or more. The car landed against the fence, a tangled mass of junk. The locomotive’s pilot was badly smashed and the air-brake connections were damaged, causing a delay of nearly two hours in the arrival of the train in Walton. Mr. Henderson’s car was a 1917 model Overland, and was in good condition.

Sunday afternoon while a resident of Delhi was driving his new Buick home he tried to pass Robert Jones’ car on the state road north of Walton, a short distance west of the Colchester station crossing. Both cars were going in the same direction and as the Delhi man passed the forward machine he ran his car off the stone road, lost control of it and the machine crashed into the fender. The mudguards on one side were stripped and the radiator smashed.

As Floyd Gregory was descending the steep hill east of Bloomville Sunday in his Ford car, the steering wheel refused to work properly and the car left the road and ran into the fence, tearing up the ground and breaking the fence. The front of the car was badly damaged and the glass in the windshield smashed to atoms. Mr. Gregory was not injured. Mr. Gregory lives at Bloomville.

An Overland automobile driven by Leon Pond and occupied by Mr. Pond and a party of friends, was struck and wrecked by a Delaware & Hudson freight train at the Cone crossing about Unadilla village last Wednesday night. Mr. Pond was almost upon the tracks before he saw a west bound train, as his attention had been taken by a train from the other direction. He turned the car quickly and ran it along the east bound track in front of the east bound freight. He had just time to unload the party when the machine was stuck and wrecked by the east bound freight. Mr. Pond has retained Hon. C. C. Flaesch of Unadilla to collect damages for the car from the railroad.


Items of Interest About Men in the Service.

John W. Smith of Meridale enlisted in the hospital corps at the Oneonta station Tuesday.

Edwin Guild, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Guild, went to New York Tuesday to enlist in the navy.

Geo. W. Tupper of Roxbury left Tuesday for Long Island to assume his duties as a member of the signal corps.

Arthur C. Conklin of Sidney has enlisted in the signal corps of the regular army at the Oneonta recruiting station.

Dr. Ray Champlin, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Champlin of Hobart, has been commissioned as first lieutenant in the medical officers reserve corps. He is now in New York city.

Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Male of Deposit have received word that their son, Alvin J. Male, who is connected with the U. S. Signal Corps, has arrived safely “somewhere in France.”

Clifton S. Franklin and Ezra E. McDougall, both of Delhi, who enlisted in the signal corps of the regular army, left the Oneonta recruiting station for Fort Slocum Monday morning.

William Orr of South Kortright, who for the past twelve years has lived in the west, recently enlisted and has been in a training camp on Long Island. He was home recently on a short furlough.

Corporals Raymond Dickinson and William Higgs of the regular army, who enlisted last summer, were home in Sidney on furloughs this week. They are in recruiting service, assigned to Fort Slocum.

Clarence H. Boob, a former Deposit boy and an employee at the Borden condensary soon after the plant was built in Deposit, is now first lieutenant of Co. F, 22nd New York Engineers, at Camp Wadsworth, Spartanburg, S. C.

Dr. C. C. Faulkner of Arena has received a commission in the medical officers reserve corps and expects to be called for service soon. His patriotism in giving up a good practice to answer his county’s call is to be highly commended.

Battery C, of Binghamton, which has been stationed at Plattsburgh, left for Spartanburg this week. Fred Schermerhorn of Hancock, Raymond Vandewalker of Sinday and William Jamieson and Charles H. Mead of Arkville are Delaware county’s representatives in the battery.

Dr. William J. Cranston of Kingston, formerly of Walton, who holds a commission as major in New York National Guard, is in command of the sanitary train of the Twenty-seventh Division at Spartanburg. The sanitary train includes all ambulance and hospital companies.

Relatives of Charles E. Adams have received word of his safe arrival in an English port. He enlisted in the machine gun company of a Connecticut National Guard regiment, now the 102nd United States Infantry, in Hartford, Conn. He reports an uneventful voyage on the steamship Adriatic. The transports were closely convoyed.


Otho Crum of Rood’s Creek Critically Injured in Threshing.

(From our Cannonsville cor.)

Last Friday Otho Crum of Rood’s Creek met with a serious accident while assisting in threshing at Ed Beagle’s. The machine was running at full speed when the young man went to poke the clutch with a stick. The stick was caught in the flywheel and hurled around, striking him across the abdomen, tearing its way through. Dr. Axtel was summoned by telephone, and when he arrived the case was so serious that he called Surgeon Miller of Binghamton. An operation was performed by the two physicians. While Crum is in critical condition, there is some hope of recovery.


Revenue Bill Designated to Raise Two and a Half Billions


Tobacco, Automobile, Life Insurance, Telephone Message Taxes - How to Figure Income.

The war tax bill designed to raise two and a half billion dollars in revenue this year became a law last week by the signature of President Wilson. It touches directly or indirectly the pocketbook of everybody in the county through taxes on incomes, excess profits, tobacco, soft drinks, passenger and freight transportation and many other things.

Under its provisions the rate on postage on letters and postcards is increased. Postmasters shall, on and after November 2, see that postage is paid at the rate of three cents an ounce or fraction thereof on letters and other first-class matter, except drop letters. All drop letters, that is, letters mailed for delivery from the office at which posted, including those for delivery by city, rural or other carrier of such office, are required to have postage paid on them at the rate of two cents an ounce or fraction thereof.

Postal cards are required to be prepaid two cents and therefore the one cent postal cards must have a one-cent stamp impressed on such cards. Postcards (private mailing cards) bearing written messages must have two cents postage prepaid on them. The new rates do not apply to mail to most foreign countries, which are fixed by International treaty, but they do apply to all domestic mail, which includes mail to Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Panama and all persons in the military service of the United States in Europe.

The income tax now reaches down and takes its levy from every married man or woman with an income over $1,000, for the calendar year of 1917, and the war profits tax reaches every corporation with a net income over $3,000, and every partnership and individual operating a business which yields more than $6,000 net income during the year.

Income tax returns must be made under oath on or before March 1, 1918, by every person with an income exceeding the amounts named above, even if there is no tax due, under penalty of $20 to $1,000 for failure. Net income, upon which the tax is levied, is calculated by taking the total amount of money received by the individual during the year, from all sources, and deducting from that amount the following items: (1) Necessary expenses actually paid in carrying on any business or trade, but not including personal, living or family expenses; (2) All interest paid within the year on indebtedness, except interest on loans made for the purchase of tax exempt securities; (3) All taxes, local, state and federal, except income and war profits taxes; (4) Losses actually sustained during the year in business or trade or from fires, storms, theft, etc.; (5) Debts ascertained to be worthless and actually charged off; (6) Reasonable allowance for wear and tear of property employed in business; (7) Contributions for religious, charitable, scientific or educational purposes to an amount not in excess of 15 per cent on the net income without the benefit of this paragraph.

Unmarried persons have $1,000 exempt from income tax; married persons have $2,000 exempt and in addition $200 exempt for each dependent child under 18 years of age.

There are internal revenue taxes of $1.10 and $2.10 a gallon on distilled spirits, $1.50 a barrel on beer, five to 20 cents a gallon on syrups for soft drinks, one cent a gallon on grape juice, soft drinks, ‘near beer’, etc.

Cigars are taxed from 25 cents to $7 per 1,000, depending on quality, with a tax of $1 per 1,000 on the five-cent variety. Cigarettes are taxed 8 to 12 cents per hundred. Retail tobacco dealers must inventory their stock and pay a tax of fifty per cent of these taxes. Tobacco pays five cents a pound and cigarette papers one cent a hundred.

Then there are the transportation taxes, 3 per cent on all freight bills, one per cent on each 20 cents of express bills, 8 per cent on passenger tickets and 10 per cent on Pullman car charges, and five cents on each telegraph and telephone message costing over 15 cents.

On all jewelry, autos, motorcycles, piano-players, phonographs and records in future 3 per cent of the sale price. New life insurance policies pay eight cents for every hundred dollars of face value or if under $500, 40 per cent of first weekly premium, and all other new insurance policies one cent for each dollar of the annual premium.

There are a new set of taxes on estates over $50,000, reaching 10 per cent on $1,000,000.

Sporting goods and cameras pay 2 per cent, toilet articles, patent medicines and chewing gum pay 2 per cent of the wholesale price.

Tickets of admission to all kinds of amusements pay one cent for each ten cents of the price. Taxes do not apply to movies where charge is five cents or less, or to other 10 cent shows.

And to wind up, there are a host of stamp taxes on all kinds of documents, the mere enumeration of which would occupy an entire column.

Final official estimates of Treasury Department and Senate Finance Committee experts of revenue expected from the bill during the first year of its operation follow:

Incomes, individual and corporation $851,000,000; excess profits $1,000,000,000; distilled spirits $135,000,000; Rectified spirits $5,000,000; fermented liquors $46,000,000; Wines, liquors, etc. $7,000,000; soft drinks, etc. $13,000,000; cigars $10,000,000; cigarettes $21,500,000; tobacco $30,000,000; Snuffs $1,800,000; cigarette papers $100,000; express packages $10,800,000; passenger transportation $60,000,000; pipe lines transportation $4,500,000; seats and berths $4,500,000; telegraph and telephone messages $7,000,000; insurance $5,000,000; automobiles and motorcycles $40,000,000; musical instruments, phonographs, records, etc. $3,000,000; motion picture films $3,000,000; jewelry $4,500,000; sporting goods $1,200,000; pleasure boats $500,000; proprietary medicines $3,400,000; perfumery and cosmetics $1,900,000; chewing gum $400,000; cameras $750,000; amusement admissions $50,000,000; club dues $1,500,000; stamp taxes, including playing cards, parcels post, $29,000,000; inheritance taxes $5,000,000; Virgin Island products $20,000; second class mail matter $70,000,000; munitions manufacturers’ tax $25,000,000; making a total of $2,534,870,000.


State’s Highest Judicial Body Hears Argument.

The case of the People against John E. Scudder of Fleischmanns, raising from the noted bank action, was argued before the Court of Appeals in Albany this week. Scudder was indicted for his connection with the sale of five shares of stock of the Griffin Corners Bank, held in the name of H. O. Judd. At the trial he was found guilty. The defense was the Scudder had the right to sell the stock under the power of attorney. After conviction Scudder appealed to the Appellate Division, which reversed his conviction by a divided court. The district attorney then appealed to the highest court, which heard the argument this week. C. R. O’Connor of Hobart appeared for the district attorney, and Alexander Neish for Scudder.


Local and District Boards Kept Busy With Exemption Cases.

The local exemption board for division No. 2, Delaware county, met Saturday morning and acted upon a number of exemption claims which had been filed with it. Exemption certificates were granted to Leon E. Bowman of Masonville, Laverne Reynolds of Trout Creek, Frank Hobbie of Franklin and Arthur Lynn Cox of Sidney. The two latter were cases of men who had been certified by both the local and district boards, but whose cases were reopened.

The following persons were certified to the district board in Albany as called into the service of the United States and not exempted or discharged: Order No. 201, Bruce Jump, Davenport; No. 307, William L. Baker, Walton; No. 429, Leslie W. Bruce, Stamford; No. 440, Edward Rink, Sidney; No. 451, Emory W. Yorks, Harpersfield; No. 457, Victor Hauver, Walton; No. 473, Sherman Shepard, Sidney. The name of Gilbert Fye of Deposit, order No. 90, was also certified to Albany. Fye is a woodchopper and soon after the registration last June left Deposit and did not appear for examination when summoned. Recently he was located in Pennsylvania and last week came to Walton, was examined, passed and certified to Albany.

The district board in Albany has notified the local board that the agricultural exemption granted to Herbert Lee Pomeroy of Sidney Center has been revoked, and he is held for service. His order number is 245.

The district board has granted the agricultural claims of Wendell F. Georgia and Harry A. Barlow both of Treadwell. The industrial claim of Horace Beale of Sidney has been denied.

The local board has found many men who didn’t want to go to war and it was somewhat of a change to receive a letter from Miles P. Frayer of Bloomville, asking that the exemption granted him be revoked and that he be sent to Wrightstown in the next quota. He is married and has one child. The board has not acted on the matter yet.

During the past two weeks the district board in Albany have certified back to the local board, as held for service, the names of twenty-two men from the lists sent to Albany after the examinations of 120 men two weeks ago. Indications are that from 384 men originally examined by the board, about eighty will finally be called for service. As the district quota is 83 some of the men from the last list of 120 examined will doubtless be called for service to fill the quota and take the places of any rejected physically at the Wrightstown camp. The following list shows the order of liability of the men certified from the recent examinations. Those with order numbers above 450 will not be called unless the proportion of rejections at Wrightstown is unreasonably large.

Order No. Name.
387 Andrew J, Sanford, Hamden.
390 Carroll L. Crosman, Sidney.
395 Earl E. Birdsall, Youngs.
397 Eugene Lane, No. Harpersfield. 401 Ralph J. Kent, Walton.
408 Chas. North, Jr., Franklin Sta.
433 Frank E. Thomas, Deposit.
437 Harvey L. Jackson, Wellsbridge. 439 Frank DeCotes, Walton.
449 Ichabod Sprague, Colchester.
450 Arthur J. Stevenson, Meredith. 452 Horace Beale, Sidney.
456 F. H. McNeilly, Franklin.
464 George A. Drake, Walton.
467 Douglas S. Brandt, Walton.
468 Amos D. Kent, Walton.
472 Alfred H. McClelland, Walton. 467 Charles C. Bell, Treadwell.
492 Harold A. Mattice, Bloomville. 495 George C. Clark, Walton.
501 Harold R. McDonald, Sidney.


Automobile Struck by Trolley as Car Backed on Track


Both Sustained Fractured Skulls and Died Within Few Minutes - Many Friends Here.

Prof. and Mrs. Olin W. Wood, formerly of Delhi, were killed Monday afternoon, October 8, in front of their home near Auburn, Cayuga county, when their automobile was struck by a west bound trolley car on the Auburn and Syracuse Electric Railway. Mr. Wood was formerly principal of the Delaware Academy in Delhi and news of the fatal accident came as a great shock to friends of the family in Delaware county, where both Prof. Wood and his wife were well and favorably known.

When the trolley struck the automobile, Mrs. Wood was thrown about one hundred feet, while Mr. Wood was carried some distance by the trolley car. Both suffered fractured skulls. The automobile was demolished. The family lived on the Franklin state road in the town of Sennett, near the city of Auburn.

The accident was witnessed by Mr. William Taylor, who lives a short distance west of the Wood homestead. She said she saw Mr. and Mrs. Wood go to the barn and get in their car. They backed out and she saw that the side curtains of the automobile were on. Mr. Wood was at the wheel. He turned the car around and went out of the driveway at a fast pace, on the track in front of the trolley car.

The trolley car was driven by Chas. Wells with Herbert Hutchinson conductor. There are trees in front of the house and a sharp curve a short distance east of the house. The motorman did not see the automobile until he was almost on it. He applied the breaks but not quick enough. The crew discovered Mrs. Wood had died instantly and Mr. Wood soon after the crew reached him.

Miss Marie Wood, a daughter, is a teacher on Long Island, while Miss Marguerite Wood, another daughter, is a junior in Syracuse University in the College of Fine Arts.

Mr. Wood has been prominent as an educator in New York state for several years, and was a graduate of Syracuse University. He had been principal of the Groton high school and of Delaware Academy in Delhi.

He left Delhi a few years ago and went to Cayuga county and was elected school superintendent of the Second district of Cayuga county. Declining a renomination two years ago, he devoted himself to the dairying business. He raised pure-blooded stock and conducted a milk route. He was also prominent in religious circles, being a member of the board of trustees of the First Methodist church, and a singer in the church.

Mrs. Wood was equally prominent in religious affairs. She was active in the church, being member of various religious societies. She was graduated in the same class with her husband from Syracuse University, and was president of the Auburn College Club. She had made a special study of music, and was a pianist and vocalist. Their daughters had studied elocution and were coached by their parents, who had been prominent in the Syracuse University dramatics.


October Term of Supreme Court Convenes in Delhi Monday.

The October term of Supreme Court will convene in Delhi next Monday. Three prisoners are held in the county jail awaiting the action of the grand jury next week. They are James Yerkin of South Kortright, held for grand larceny; William Dutcher of South Kortright, excise violation; and John Houck of Walton, burglary.

The grand jury has about fifteen cases to hear. Three are for excise violations under the Brown law prohibiting the bringing of liquor into dry towns. There is one bigamy case and the other are minor matters.

Justice George M. McCann will preside. On the court calendar are 86 cases, of which 7 are preferred, 63 on the fact for jury calendar, and the rest are to be tried without a jury. There are eight divorce cases. The action by a New York man, Spiers, to recover liquor seized at the Pepacton hotel two years ago, is also on the calendar.


To Testify at Milk Prices Investigation.

Several independent investigations into the increase in milk prices are being conducted in New York City. A number of Delaware county farmers are among those subpoenaed to appear before the grand jury in New York.

Servers, directed by Louis Kadans, a butter and egg dealer, served summons on farmers near Dunraven where the creamery has been closed. Reports of the investigations indicate that an attempt is being made to lay to the farmer all the increase in retail milk prices. As experts have submitted figures showing that even at present prices there is little money in the dairying business, the investigations will doubtless die a natural death.

Return to top