2017-02-15 / Looking Back

Looking Back

100 Years Ago, SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 1917


What We Are Talking About at the County Hub


Visiting Lady Break Arm Telephone Matter Before Grand Jury Annual Meeting of Dairymen.

Henry L. Seely has closed his meat market in the Boice block and will sell his fixtures and tools. Mr. Seely has not decided on his future plans.

Mail for members of Company F should be sent to Millwood, Westchester county, in care of Company F, First Infantry, N. G., N. Y. The guardsmen may be reached on long distance telephone by calling Chappaqua 98-R.

John P. Bastian, the Walton tailor, received a letter last Wednesday from Germany informing him of the death of his father, Mathias Bastian, at Welwingen, near Metz, Germany, last June. The letter was written August 19, and had been held up and delayed by the censorship in the warring countries. The original envelope had been entirely destroyed. The letter also told of the death of an uncle and a niece of Mr. Bastian.

Monday and Tuesday were the coldest days of the season in Walton, the thermometer each morning registering from 20 to 25 degrees below zero. A curious coincidence is the fact that just a year ago on Monday and Tuesday, February 14 and 15, the thermometer on each day was over 20 degrees below and these were the two coldest days of that season. School was closed Tuesday on account of the cold.

The annual meeting of the stockholders of the Walton Farmers Dairy Co., the cooperative creamery, will be held Tuesday, February 20, at 1 o’clock in the afternoon, at Walton Hall. A director in place of E. S. Dann for a term of five years is to be elected. Several important matters are to come before the meeting and it is to the interest of each of the more than two hundred stockholders to be present.

The attention of patrons of the Library is called to a new rule governing the loaning of magazines, which will go into effect March 1, 1917: “The latest issues of magazines must not be taken from the reading room. All other issues are subject to loan; those of the current year may be kept three days and are not renewable; older issues may be kept two weeks.” A fine of two cents a day will be charged for magazines kept overtime.

Mrs. Alonzo Mattice of Hamden, while visiting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Kent, South street, fell Sunday evening and broke her arm. The accident happened after dark and before the lights had been turned on. Mrs. Mattice started to go from dining room to the kitchen and by mistake opened the door of the cellar. She lost her balance and fell to the bottom of the cellar stairs. Both bones of her right forearm were broken. Dr. E. Ray Gladstone reduced the fracture.

The Stars and Slims played an indoor baseball game in the armory Tuesday evening for the benefit of the Company F relief fund. The team of the Stars was composed largely of players on the old Fats’ nine. The final score was 27 to 21 for the Stars. The teams were well matched and honors of the evening were about divided between France, who twirled for the Slims, and Wakeman of the Stars, but the Stars bunched their hits to greater effect. The Clerks and Bordens will play next Tuesday evening.

The grand jury, in session at Delhi Thursday, heard evidence on the complaint filed charging John R. Bryce with the wilful destruction of the property of the Walton Home Telephone Company in June 1916. Mr. Bryce is manager of the Walton People’s Telephone Company, which, through its employees, secured control of the stock of the Home Company and then proceeded to put the concern out of business by tearing up its cables. The receiver of the Home Company will also bring an action against Mr. Bryce. The grand jury had not reported Thursday.

The relief work for Company F has been taken up by the Auxiliary of the National Guard. Monday evening, under the direction of Mrs. Edna Squires, a dance was held in the armory, the receipts of which amounted to about $15, which were turned into the relief fund. The receipts at Tuesday night’s ball game were $20, and Thursday evening a box social and dance was held in the armory. Funds for this cause are urgently needed and money may be sent to Mrs. H. A. Wilbur, president of the auxiliary, or to members of the relief committee: G. E. Davis, S. H. Fancher, Jr., W. H. Knight, and E. B. Guild.

Mr. and Mrs. Harlow W. Parsons, who are in Minneapolis, Minn., witnessed a terrible fire in that city Sunday night, when thirteen persons lost their lives in a blaze that swept the Kenwood Hotel, a three-story brick structure. Mr. and Mrs. Parsons were in the Pechora apartments in the same block as the hotel and only three doors away. They were aroused by the ringing of the fire gong in the hotel and as quickly as possible made their exit from the building. The scene they witnessed was a horrible one, as the firemen did not arrive for some time and in the meantime persons were jumping from the windows or spectators could see them appear at the windows and then be driven back by the flames only to perish.


Company F Boys Comfortably Settled in Millwood Barracks


Lieutenant Wilbur Home Thursday to Secure Recruits Reports All Well With the Boys.

First Lieutenant H. A. Wilbur, commanding officer of Company F. First Infantry, came home Wednesday evening and was busy Thursday swearing in new recruits for the guardsmen and looking after matters connected with the company.

Among those who have enlisted are Daniel Pine, Charles Armondi, George Allen, Cecil Houck and Arthur Pindar, Leo Sutliff, Allen Sutton, Wesley and Herman Peake. Privates Fred Houck, Frank Conklin and Frank Barnes, who were out of town when the company left, joined the guardsmen at Millwood the latter part of the week.

Lieutenant Wilbur will return to Millwood today, Friday, accompanied by the new men. He was accompanied by home Sergeant J. J. Connelly, who has been ill with pleurisy in the Peekskill hospital, and by Jay Hammond, who was subpoenaed to Delhi to appear before the grand jury on the Bryce telephone matter.

Sergeant Connelly was taken ill Monday of last week while the company was quartered in the mule stables near Peekskill. Aside from colds and two or three sore throats there has been no other sicknesses and the men are becoming accustomed to their work.

They are quartered in a building about three-quarters of a mile south of Millwood station, Westchester county, which was formerly used as headquarters for the engineers on the aqueduct construction work. The building is a story and a half high and the attic is used for sleeping quarters. At first the men slept on the floor, but this week cots were received. The boys found them a welcome change after the floor, but they are cold underneath unless one has a full bed-sack.

Company F guards about three miles of the Croton aqueduct. On their patrol there are only a few places where damage could be done and here guards are stationed while patrols constantly watch the system. Half of the men are on duty each day. They have two hours on patrol and then four hours off duty, making eight hours of active patrol duty in each 48 hours. A sergeant, two corporals and six men are on duty for twenty four hours at an old deserted house a mile south of the barracks at what is known as Sarles’ Hill. The house has a good fireplace and the men on duty here have haversack rations. The detail here is changed each day.

The present barracks is furnished with a furnace and hot water and the cooking is done in the cellar. Each day six men are allowed passes and most of them go to Ossining, six miles away, to see Sing Sing prison. Reading matter for use of the boys while not on duty is badly needed and may either be sent to camp by mail or furnished to Mrs. H. A. Wilbur, president of the National Guard Auxiliary.

The company now requisitions its own supplies and no complaints are found with the commissary department. Breakfast usually consists of cereal, ham and eggs, bread and butter and coffee. For dinner there is meat and potatoes, canned peas, bread and butter and coffee. At supper the usual feed is meat, potatoes, fruit, bread, butter and tea or coffee.

While one of the men was on guard at night he thought he saw a figure of a man crouching down some distance away. After several orders to the supposed German plotter to come out or take the consequences, the guardsmen fired. The next day it was found that he had put a bullet in the center of a stone which somewhat resembled a man’s head.

How long the guardsmen will be out is a question. A bill is now before the state legislature which should authorize the city of New York to employ special policemen to guard the water system. It has not yet passed and the term of service of the guardsmen is apt to be extended longer than expected.

Hillwood, N. Y.,

Feb. 4, 1917. Reporter Co.:

Things are now very well organized here and getting down to routine. I will try and take up our history where I left off last week.

We arrived at our present quarters about 3:30 p. m., on Wednesday, the 7th, and at 9 o’clock that evening had guards posted on the exposed section of our beat. This was much better than some companies, who did not get their guards out until Friday. As we were short of non-coms. When leaving Walton, Corporals Smith, White, Eells, and Kniffin were made acting sergeants, and Privates Bunnell, Caden, Cleaver, Flynn, Guild, Laidlaw, Holmes, Marks, Hammond, Secord and Northrup were made acting corporals. Everyone has to stand his detail of 24 hours on guard and 24 hours off. When on guard he is on post two hours and off four, day and night. All have to turn in to police quarters and do any work around them.

By Thursday noon Sergeant Pierson had made arrangements for rations and since then we have had plenty to eat and of good variety. The sergeant reported that he saw a robin when he went to town, and I presume that is why he felt so good natured and served us peaches for supper.

Thursday we settled down to a regular routine. Reveille is at 6 a. m., mess at 7 a. m., 12 noon and 6 p. m. At 5 o’clock we have assembly under arms, inspection and retreat. Yesterday we had our flag up for the first time and now we are quite like a military post. At 9:30 p. m., call to quarters is sounded and at 10:30 taps. The mail leaves twice daily and Musicians Berray and McCook take turns as carriers. Our incoming mail is now so large that an extra man is necessary to carry it.

Thursday night I was sergeant of the guard from 7 p. m. until 7 a. m. About 9:30 a sentry reported sounds of rifle firing east of us and before long a number were out listening to what seemed to be a skirmish fire. Lieut. Hones and a detail went out to investigate and found it to be a gasoline engine used to pump water. It certainly sounded like a high power rifle. A little later a sentry brough in a man who carried a loaded .22 calibre rifle. He was a Swede and asked for some one to go home with him to a little shack in the woods south of us as he was afraid of some one over there. Sergeant O’Neill, Sergeant Pierson and Private Palmer formed a guard of honor and helped him home. It seemed to be a case of too much hard cider. Unfortunately the cider had all disappeared before our detail arrived so it is doubtful if they volunteer next time.

Friday afternoon I obtained leave to go to Pleasantville. It is about four miles south of here and is somewhat larger than Walton. I walked to Chappaqua, two and a half miles and took a train on the Harlem branch of the Central. Bought some supplies and returned just in time for mess. Co. L of Newburgh is stationed at Pleasantville.

“Flip” McLean visited us Friday and stayed over night. He had been to see Sergeant Connelly in the Peekskill hospital and reported he was doing nicely and expected to be out in a few days.

Saturday passed very quietly as did Sunday. Very few passes were issued and no one can leave the post without one. Late Sunday afternoon we received an issue of fifty cots from the City of New York. This will give nearly every man in the barracks a cot, instead of the floor, to sleep on.

Monday I was sent out on the hill patrol. On the lower half of our beat the aqueduct passes through two tunnels and there is only about one-third of a mile of cut and cover between them. A detail of eight men in charge of a sergeant leaves here every morning at 7 o’clock for an old, deserted farm house, which is used for camp. This detail patrol the tunnel sections. It has been pretty cold weather to be comfortable nights over there, but in mild weather would be a pretty good place. One room is all that is used for quarters. There is a fire place and if one can keep turning around, as only one side freezes at a time, it is not so bad. We did not try to spread our blankets the night I was there as it was close to zero weather. We changed guard every hour and those on the inside sat as close to the fire as possible and in time the night passed.

We now have a mascot. Monday night a beautiful collie came into camp and seems to like it. He has no collar on and his evidently been quite a pet. No official name has been given him yet, but I presume there will soon be a christening.

Several men obtained leave yesterday morning and went to Ossining and through Sing Sing prison. They report it a very interesting trip.

The letter would not be complete without something being said about our cooks and cook shack, because they are the ones responsible for our contentment. To see the squad in blue overalls you would not think of them as soldiers, but they are just as ready to fight as to eat.

The cook detail consists of Cooks Townsend and Benedict and Privates McCall, Smith, Stidd and Young. It would be quite a proposition to put up to out housewives to feed 65 men on two hours notice, even if they had the food, unless they had a stove and plenty of utensils. Our baggage arrived after four o’clock last Wednesday and only a few kettles and pails were allowed us on leaving Peekskill. With this handicap at 6:30 we had some good coffee and tomato soup, and for breakfast Thursday had fried ham, bread and coffee. By Thursday noon a stove had been obtained and now they have an oil stove so things are better. The cook detail have the longest hours of any of us as they are up every day about 4:30 and work until about 8 o’clock.

Yesterday afternoon Privates Eaton, Welton and Whitaker were detailed to I company at Millwood. Major Cookingham, who is acting colonel of the regiment, and Major Sheehan of of the battalion, and Captian Stivers, in command of the hospital unit of I Co., Middletown, made an inspection of our quarters yesterday. They seemed satisfied.

It is nearly time to relieve the guard so will stop now.

Very truly,


From the cook shack, Fort Walton, Millwood:

Cook Townsend has got his squad of helpers all equipped in blue overalls. They are the blue squad. They are a busy lot of men. They have to serve meals at all hours of the night and day. It looks like a quick lunch room to step in their kitchen, which is kept in fine shape, neat and clean, and if anyone wants to start anything just let him step into the kitchen and say. A lusty lot of boys and a good lot if left alone, but stir them up you want to move then and right away.


Under Direction of Farm Bureau in Walton Hall Tuesday.

On Tuesday, February 20th, the Dairymen’s League and the Farm Bureau will have a big gathering of farmers at Walton Hall, Walton. There will be three sessions; morning, afternoon, and evening, and it is hoped that every farmer in town will make an especial effort to attend. Similar meetings which have been held all over the county have drawn large crowds.

There will be an address by J. J. Thomas, Director of the Dairymen’s League, who will give the latest plans of that organization; Dr. C. E. Ladd, Director of the Delhi State School of Agriculture, will make an address; E. R. Eastman will outline the work of the Farm Bureau and make arrangements for demonstrations in the town of Walton, for the coming year. Best of all, there will be short talks by local farmers and other business men, including one by Geo. N. Cupp of the Agricultural Department of the Walton High School.

Everyone is expected to bring food for a luncheon at noon. Hot coffee will be served free. Music by an orchestra will also be a feature of the program.

Ladies are especially invited to this meeting. A separate session for the women will be held in the afternoon. At this session there will be talks on home problems by Miss Esther Eveleigh, teacher of home making in the Walton High School, and by Miss Constance Badger, of the Delhi State School.

In the evening the meetings will be directly under the auspices of the league. Miss Mills, a noted speaker from Syracuse will give a short address, and it is expected in addition to other local talks on community problems that community singing will be continued from the night before.

This meeting is a general gettogether of the whole community with the hope of furthering the fine community spirit for cooperation which already exists in Walton. Plan to come and bring the whole family.


Delhi Suit Tried in Supreme Court This Week


Justice Davis Refuses Citizenship Papers to Six - Term Will be Short One.

Tuesday was opening day for the February term of Supreme Court, but the attendance was small at the opening, which was at ten o’clock. Jurors do not arrive until afternoon these days and the calling of their names was dispensed with and also the call of the calendar. A score of attorneys were in court when the crier announced the beginning of business.

There were only a few exparte motions and orders asked for, a divorce case was heard and much of the time was devoted to the hearing of applications for final papers in naturalization. The divorce matter was presented by E. E. Conlon and Mrs. Alice Horton of Colchester wished to be freed from the entanglements of the marriage state and let her husband, Edmund D. Horton, go his separate way. The plaintiff and one other witness were sworn and the matter taken under advisement by the court.

There were ten men interested in securing citizenship under the protection of the Stars and Stripes, but only four got papers. Six of the men were willing to renounce allegiance to the King of Italy. Frank Macri of Downsville was accepted and took the oath of allegiance. Gaetano Frank Cetta of Walton was refused on account of lack of confidence in the Italian witnesses. Cesare DeVillis was told to wait, also on account of incompetent evidence. Vera Belacosa of Sidney Center had been in Canada part of the time in recent years and the court thought he better wait until he liked the U. S. better. Giovanna Salamme of Davenport Center was also informed that his case was not satisfactory. John Jacob Kunzler of Stamford, a subject of little Switzerland, did not produce two witnesses and his case was continued.

John Martin Turner of Sidney wanted to renounce King George V of England, and he was admitted to citizenship. Frank Rehor of Union Grove, Andes, desired to say good bye to Austria, and he was found entirely worthy to join us as a citizen. Edward W. C. Muller of Franklin wanted nothing more to do with Kaiser Wilhelm, but he did not satisfy the court that he was ready for the step and was told to wait a while.

Tuesday afternoon the juries were called and sworn. None of the grand jurors asked to be excused and but three of the trial jurors, who were allowed to go. W. H. Roberts of Davenport was named as foreman of the grand jury. When the justice called the calendar the attorneys did something to it in a hurry. Out of the 87 causes in the book only nine were said to be ready for trial and a dozen or more might be considered later and so were reserved. That was quite an unusual showing for a court opening.

It was learned, as an echo of the former visit of Justice Davis to this county, that the case of the Strout Farm Agency against Archie Gladstone, for commissions on the sale of his farm, will have to be tried again. This case was first tried before Justice Davis in October, 1915, and a verdict of no cause of action rendered. The court set aside the verdict on the first trial and ordered a new trial, which was had last May and resulted in a verdict for the plaintiff of $539. Justice Sewell had just set aside this judgement and order another new trial.

The case of A. A. Halpern of Fleischmanns against Fred D. Cure of Pine Hill, is an echo of the matter in which John E. Scudder was convicted of grand larceny. Scudder sold the five shares of stock of the First National Bank of Griffin Corners, which he held as a pledge from H. O. Judd, the owner, to Fred D. Cure. The transaction was adjudged grand larceny and conviction had as above. Halpern is now the owner of the stock, as alleged, and sues to recover the same. The plaintiff was represented by C. R. O’Connor, who was ready for trial and anxious to proceed at once. G. A. Speenburg appeared for the defense and requested an adjournment until a later term, because U. S. Grant Cure is seriously ill at Schenectady and is a material witness. The court did not concede the materiality of the witness and as he was shown to be suffering from usually incurable diseases it would be doubtful if he could come later. He proposed to allow a referee to go and take the evidence of said Cure, and the matter was held open. The case was set down on Thursday for trial today, Friday.

Another case, that of Hannah Freedman against A. L. Austin, as sheriff, was taken up and a postponement urged by the defendant’s counsel, Weschler & Kohn of New York. C. R. O’Connor appeared for the plaintiff and demanded trial now. By virtue of executions the sheriff sold goods in a boarding house in Fleischmanns, and this is a replevin action resulting therefrom. The sheriff, of course, is protected by a bond. Trial was started Thursday afternoon.

In the case of Harris N. Chandler against Ida C. Hussey, a matter of accounting, F. W. Youmans of Delhi was appointed as referee to hear the evidence and pass upon the merits.

Wednesday morning, the action for false arrest of Samuel Simon against James O’Donohue of Delhi was taken up, and a jury drawn for trial of the merits. This cause was partially tried last fall, but halted when it was found that Justice Telford, who issued the warrant of arrest, was not in town and his evidence was essential to the case. Simon bought a horse collar and wagon pole from the plaintiff, and after the pole had been adjusted to the wagon by defendant, plaintiff alleges he then and there paid the bill which was $4.75. O’Donohue denies that he saw the goods after being taken by the plaintiff, but that they were taken in part at night and with interest to defraud him. Simon was released by Justice Telford at the trial, but O’Donohue contends that the merits of the case were not tried. Before the summing up, Thursday, after Justice Davis held that Simon’s arrest had been false and without cause and left only the question of malicious prosecution to the jury.

Wednesday afternoon, was a special session of the divorce mill, and three cases were turned into the hopper. Divorces are likely to be granted as the court did not question the competence of the evidence and no defense was interposed. In each case satisfactory grounds were made the basis of the demand for sundering the marriage tie, infidelity and adulterous escapades.

A. L. Kellogg of Oneonta conducted the examination of witness in the case of William A. Barnes against Susie Barnes, Meredith parties.

A. D. Peake was attorney in two cases. Lafayette Henderson of Loomis against Jessie M., his wife; and Pearl Houck of Walton against her husband, Frederic Houck. In the former matter there were five or six witnesses and in the latter three.

Justice Davis will be in Walton Saturday to hear two or three cases wherein the witnesses reside in the vicinity and no jury is required. These cases are the people against Emmet Washburn, and people against Mary Stewart, involving tax sale titles.

The grand jury will probably report today, Friday.

The suit brought against A. B. Martin of Herkimer, formerly of Sidney, by his former wife, Gertrude Marsh Martin, passed the term. Mrs. Martin asks $10,000, claiming her former husband, while she was ill in Sidney conspired to prolong her sickness by administering morphine and bicholoride of mercury.


Floyd Sykes of Deposit Arrested Friday Night


Night Watchman Tiffany Discovered Theft and Notified Owner of Store - Held for the Grand Jury.

(From our Deposit correspondent.)

Friday night as watchman W. G. Tiffany of Deposit was making his rounds he discovered that a hole had been broken through the large plate glass in front of F. C. Weaver’s store on Front street.

Mr. Weaver was called by telephone and upon investigating it was found that no one had been in the store, but a pair of shoes which was shown with other goods had been taken. Further search revealed fresh tracks in the new snow that had fallen, leading through an alley to Second street. The tracks on being followed led to the Satterly store building on Front street, where Floyd Sykes lives on the second floor, and the shoes were found here.

Sykes was placed in lockup, and Saturday he was brought before Justice G. W. Flower and was held for the grand jury. He was taken to the jail in Binghamton.


Andrew Davis of Delhi Seriously Burned Monday - Was Thawing Pipes.

(From our Delhi correspondent.)

A large number of Delhi citizens witnessed a real live bonfire Monday morning which might have had a very unfortunate ending for Andrew Davis, son of Ferris Davis.

The main water pipe leading to the Russell Archibald garage became frozen Sunday night and an attempt was made to dig down and locate the break. As the ground was frozen hard a slow fire was started over the spot, not fast enough however to suit the young man, who went into the garage and secured a five gallon can of gasoline, which was about half full. He approached the fire and scattered some of the gasoline on the flames—result—blank. The can exploded, and he was at once a mass of flames; he plunged head first into the snowbank, that fortunately was wayside, but this did not extinguish the fire from his clothing, but saved the face for the time. A crowd soon collected and applied snow to the prostrate form, a thoughtful man stripped off his big overcoat and wrapped Davis completely in the garment. This was successful, as it was found that the fire had not reached the body. The flames had, however, reached the lower part of his face and neck, which were badly burned. One hand is deeply burned, including the wrist. The other hand was protected by a buckskin glove, which was burned to a crisp. Dr. C. R. Woods was called and dressed the wounds.


Too Much Red Eye Proves Bad for Loomis Man.

(From our Loomis correspondent.)

Friday evening as dusk was falling and the travel on the highway was becoming finished for the day, there was noted by parties living in or near the vicinity of Henderson hill a team wending its way homeward without a driver. On reaching Pleasant Plains farm the team was stopped and driven into the barn at least until the driver could be found. At the same time the team was discovered to belong to a progressive farmer in the vicinity and had been driven to Walton by the son, who is also the hired man on the farm. He reached Walton safely, loaded his sled with feed and himself with that elixir which soon robbed him of his senses. He managed to get as far as the pitch at Hill Pine farm, where with some grace he slid off his load and found a sleeping place in the snow drift near by, while the team leisurely proceeded homeward. A team from Cleaver homeward bound discovered the man in drift and brought him along to where his team was. From there they took him home.


Caught in Woodword About Chimney - Soon Extinguished.

(From our Long Eddy Cor.)

At 10 o’clock Tuesday morning, Feb. 13th, fire was discovered in the school house at Long Eddy. The children were marched out without confusion, and the alarm given. The fire was in the woodwork around the large central chimney, caused by overheating. In less than twenty minutes there were many helpers, townspeople and children alike, carrying water in pails, and a number of fire extinguishers being used.

The fire, which had made considerable headway, was extinguished, but the floors in the central part of the building had to be cut away in order to reach it with water, and the floors were flooded. There was no school in the afternoon. E. J. Gardner was given the job to repair the damage. Though the work was not all finished, school was resumed Wednesday morning.


Well Known Oneonta Lawyer Announces Candidacy.

Hon. A. L. Kellogg of Oneonta, county judge of Otsego county, has announced his candidacy for Supreme Court Justice to succeed Hon. Albert H. Sewell of Walton, who retires at the end of the year on account of having reached the age limit.

Judge Kellogg is a native of Treadwell and well known in Delaware county. He is now serving his second term as county judge of Otsego. He is 56 years of age. The feeling among lawyers generally is that the nomination should go to either Delaware or Otsego counties. Judge James P. Hill of Norwich has announced his candidacy and there may be others in the field later.


Weavers Fail to Reach Agreement With Silk Mill Owners.

The Hartley Silk Mill in Sidney has been closed on account of a strike of the weavers. Monday of last week about twenty of the weavers shut down their looms after the company had failed to meet their demands of the men for better pay for certain lines of work. A conference with Mr. Simpson, of Paterson, N. J., the general manager of the company, failed to bring an agreement and following his departure the entire mill was shut down and the force of about fifty are out of work.

Treyz Buys Mountain Lake Hotel.

V. A. Francisco has sold his large summer hotel at Cook’s Falls, the Mountain Lake Hotel, to George I. Treyz, consideration about $25,000. Mr. Fransisco was the pioneer in the summer boarding business at that place. He started a small way over twenty-five years ago. He built two additions to the hotel, one in 1900 making the capacity about 100, and another large addition in 1906, making the capacity about 300. The hotel is the largest and best in this section, Mr. Fransisco expects to move into his house near the M. E. parsonage temporarily.

Washington’s Birthday Celebration.

This is the hour of patriotism, and the Daughters of the American Revolution, Mary Weed and Marvin Chapter, invite the townspeople and strangers who may be within our gates at the time, to attend a patriotic celebration of Washington’s birthday to be held in the municipal hall the evening of the 22nd. The exercises will begin promptly at 8 o’clock.

The program will consist of patriotic songs by a lady and by a gentleman soloist; by a men’s quartet, and by the audience: a short address by one of our ministers and another by a young lawyer of our town.

There will be two poems which the young folks like; one given by a girl and the other by a boy.

Everybody will be welcomed, young and old, fathers and mothers and children. The entertainment is free. Come and let us all have a good time together.

Relative Killed in the War.

Miss Margaret J. Wilson of Delhi has one brother wounded and in a hospital in France, while another is in active service. Thomas Leslie of Clinton street, Delhi, has had three nephews killed in the service.

Return to top